Skip to main content

Our importance

Everyone has an innate desire to feel loved and needed. I don't think anyone would argue with that fact. Deep down it's how we were created. When we feel unloved or unimportant, that's when we begin to feel worthless and lifeless. I think our ever-growing use of the exclamation point via electronic communication pinpoints our desire to make everything and everyone feel important. I had students who thought it was appropriate to put this end marker after almost every sentence because they felt it was an "important sentence," instead of using it as it's intended: to exclaim with gusto!

It is easier to feel like your life matters when you are doing something that the world views as important. A military post, missionary role, or mega million-dollar investor all fall into the category of important positions. People pour their lives into different titles and achievements in order to feel important, but when your life's work isn't glamorous, envied, or admired it's easy to forget your importance. I don't think the desire to feel important is wrong. I think God made us that way because He wants us to know His importance lies within us. He wants to satisfy our every desire. However, the day-to-day grind of an "average" existence can slowly wear down your definition of important. For that reason, turmoil, hardship, or even bumps along your "planned route" begin to feel like infinite blessings because they reroute your focus. You remember the importance and significance of every little moment in your day. You become aware of the truly important matters of life, and trust that your life has a greater purpose. You praise God for making you capable of reaching new heights that you would never have known prior to that mountain or valley. Trials really become precious gifts. 

Instead of seeing my new routine as heavy or hard, I will choose to see the significance in my ability to care for my children, meet new faces at doctors offices, emergency rooms, and therapy clinics, and I will thank God for each new day I'm given.

It's amazing how a new lifestyle changes your outlook...

I would count our weekend as a great one! Even though we functioned on fewer sleep cycles, ended up at the ER after Levi's G-tube came out (I was proud of myself for putting it back in correctly, the doc just wanted to double check since it is so fresh), and we didn't do anything really exciting except watch a rented flick. But it really felt like a great weekend. Our routine seems a bit more manageable, and we'll eventually figure out what Levi's future looks like. All we can see now is today, so today we'll thank God for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew