Skip to main content

Another letter to Levi

Levi,

I cannot believe you are already three months old. I've never been more proud of you my sweet, second son. I am watching you fight to swallow, cry as hard as you can, and try your best to communicate with all who care for you. I hope and pray that you won't have any more setbacks, that your muscles will develop properly, that you'll come home healthy and able to eat, and most of all, that my voice and my arms will give you comfort even though they've been absent so much these past few months.

Every mother wants jealously to be the one her children run to for love and care, just as our true Father desires for us to run to Him first. I understand that jealousy a little more now as I watch you recognize the voices of your sweet nurses. I want desperately to make your life easier, but I remember that this is just the first of many trials in your life of which I can only sit an the sidelines and call out that I love you! I try not to think too much about how little we see each other in a 24 hour period because I think I would break down in unmerited motherly guilt. You are receiving phenomenal care, and I'm told you are the cutest baby on the floor! Every female nurse from miles around comes to "check on you." This makes my heart smile, but I pray that no matter how little time you spent in me prior to entering the world, you will still know that I have always been and will always be the first woman in your life.

I trust and believe that God's will is perfect for you, and I continue to yearn for the day we can get better acquainted. Thank you Levi for looking at the world with such fresh eyes. Thank you for not following or conforming to the "normal" preemie pattern. Thank you for giving people a chance to see God work miracles. Thank you for letting me love you from afar, and thank you for teaching me so very much. I feel as thought I barely know you, yet I love you as if I've known you all my life. Please never start conforming; rather, maintain a path that belongs only to you!

I love you Levi.


Praises!
~Levi is 7 pounds!
~Levi started "tastings" successfully. Similar to a wine tasting, Levi gets to start slow with smelling, and familiarizing himself with milk by mouth before they actually give him a bottle or allow him to nurse. They want to go very slow so that he doesn't gag, aspirate, or have a negative experience with eating, which can stay with him the rest of his life!
~Levi is doing great and on the last 1/64 (yes a fraction) liter of oxygen (the very last amount he can get before being on room air).

Prayers!
~The orthopaedist said Levi's therapy and new splints look good, but there is a concern for his hand, so they want him to see a specialized "hand surgeon" just to get evaluated and watch him closely.
~Levi needs to be able to take down a significant amount of milk before he can do the "swallow" study. If he can't handle eating by mouth, then we are back to discussions with ENT, Plastic surgeons, and Neurologists. If he aspirates during tastings, there's a chance he could end up back on a ventilator if it causes him too much stress (imagine the worst case of something going down your wind pipe- terrible feeling). He has a very high palate in his mouth, which could be the root cause of a lot of his swallow issues. We pray he learns to compensate and outgrow this.
~Levi still seems to drop his stats a little when he's refluxing or trying to swallow too much saliva (hence the only reason he's still on a little oxygen because they can turn it up in those moments). He's on a new form of acid reflux med. Prayers this gets under control so that he can be on room air and only worry about his physical therapy and occupational therapy moving forward.

Love you all!

~Jealous Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster