Skip to main content

Bread or Biscotti? Sweet or Sketchy?

So there has been a hold up in the placement office, and thus I still haven't begun student teaching. I do have the first day of fall semester this evening, and hopefully will get more info on where I'll be placed then. In the meantime, why not make some lemonade out of those lemons!
After church yesterday, I began to mull over the fact that I have had the same next door neighbors (here at my rents place) for the past 16 years, and I have NEVER met them. Never introduced myself, never borrowed an egg, never even apologized for all the days I blasted N'Sync on my awesome boom box for all to enjoy. I mean there shouldn't be any apology needed for that one. Who doesn't rock out to Tearin up my Heart?
I digress.... I really felt bad about not saying hello to the sweet old couple I have come to see from time to time in their yard. So I decided some baking was in order. I found a recipe for a banana coffee chocolate chip bread. However, I didn't have ripe bananas so I took those out of the equation. I also didn't have vegetable oil so I substituted half EVOO and half Canola oil. And I used the rest of the dark chocolate chips I had instead of the milk ones called for by the recipe author. Okay..... wait a sec. I think with all the changes I figured out why it turned out like biscotti rather than bread. Plus I put it in the bigger oven, in the wrong size pan! Okay.... it all makes sense now. I love when I make changes and come up with my own creation. It really was tasty. So much so, that I thought about saying who cares about stupid neighbors, this is my delectable desert! A side of cold milk and hot coffee with a book is all ya need. Who needs neighborly anyway!
No... even though I love me somethin sweet,  I decided to stick with my gut and walk over this new invention.
I met Gail. A sweet elderly woman who had the look of- Wow you are way to old to be selling girl scout cookies honey when she came to the door. After friendly chatter for a few minutes, she was so excited about the desert, and thanked me profusely. If she hadn't been on the phone, she would have loved to visit more. Or so she says..... maybe she was still thinking sketch ball, I wouldn't even feed this to my yelping terriers, who are you, and who the heck makes biscotti. It's probably laced and your trippin if you think I'm falling for it.  Wait.... she didn't look like that kind of grandma. She was really sweet, and her joy was totally worth giving away my biscotti. 


Do you know your neighbors? 


Hello dry ingredients
Welcome the wet ones
Mmm... with the chocolate chips they just all come together so well
Yes... this is the step where you can lick the spoon!
Fold um into that too big loaf pan

Now you can cut into small slices for perfect biscotti dipping!

ENJOY!

Coffee Chocolate Chip Banana Breads
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 packet Starbucks Via, or 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 medium bananas, mashed (approx 1 cup)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two two 5×3-inch loaf pans (or use disposable foil pans).
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, Via or instant espresso, sugar and brown sugar.
In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, vegetable oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract until smooth and well-combined. Pour into dry ingredients and stir only until no streaks of flour remain. Add in chocolate chips and stir to evenly distribute.
Divide evenly into prepared pans. Place pans in a baking sheet.
Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool in pans on a wire rack.
Makes 2 mini loaves
Note: This bread can be baked in a 9×5-inch loaf pan, increasing the baking time to about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


Comments

  1. ...when we are apart I feel it tooooooooo....I just love this story :) precious friend! I do have one thing to say though, where was my yummie biscotti?! haha just kidding. Way to listen to the Lord's calling love!...and no matter what I do I feel the pain with or without you...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew