Skip to main content

The twenty minute bite

It's amazing how quickly children begin to understand the ways of the world. No one teaches them disobedience, distrust, or defiance, yet every single child will assert his or her own will sooner or later. It is the very nature of human beings: given free will out of love, but unable to see the perfect love within that gift.

I recently asked Silas' pediatrician when I could put one meal in front of Silas, and if he refused to eat it, then he was done eating. To my surprise, Dr. Burnham said, "Now. Don't be a short-order cook. He is testing you now to see whether he can get what he wants." For that reason, I recently tried my hand at not making an alternate lunch to replace the classic PBJ. Si loves peanut butter and jelly, but for some reason he decided he only wanted his cheese puffs and other snacks last Tuesday. The terrible tug-of-war that followed seem to last forever. After fake tears, real tears (both on Silas' part), a stare down, the silent treatment, and me questioning whether I was a terrible mother, Silas finally took one bite of the soggy sandwich and with my applause spit it right back out. That was good enough for me at this point. He enjoyed a great turkey melt and fruit and yogurt afterwards.

We both learned a little something that day. Silas learned that his cute tears would not always get a response from me, and I learned that sometimes lunch will take over an hour to get through (so let your plans go out the window). What's most important is that we constantly seek wisdom in raising our children. It's not an easy task, but it's an utter joy.

This boy takes down multiple bowls of cereal in the morn.
Three days later he wanted to try the peanut butter without a fight.
I think he's liking it again.
It was all a ploy!
I love his look after a good, long nap.
Si man doesn't let anyone talk bad about momma. (Really he just smack himself on a plastic toy, but that's not what he's telling people.)
You're suppose to ride it buddy.
It's not a lawn mower, but it is good practice walking!
Our new favorite park: Sweet Apple. The only one with a "merry-go-round."
~Bite Buster

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster