Skip to main content

Who Am I?

Mother's Day has come and gone, yet the daily responsibilities of a momma never see a day off. Even if you take a "vacation" without your precious babies, they never escape your concern or reach. Before I ever became a mother myself, I knew it was known as a "thankless" job, and I was perfectly okay with that description. In fact I remember desiring to be a less selfish person with regard to my time and energy, and I couldn't wait to give all of who I was to any young life God entrusted to me. I never thought I'd be one of those women that needed others to validate my chosen existence. Yet I'm realizing how easily this world creeps into our personal psyche without us even recognizing when we gave it our permission.Whether you work outside your home full-time, serve as a part-time employee, or wear the badge of full-time mommy, there are significant challenges that always make someone else's role look a little greener.

As a "part-time" worker and full-time mommy, I try to see the world from multiple perspectives. The greener grass and validation I'm referring to do not really have anything to do with purpose. I believe strongly that I am fulfilling a great purpose in my role as a wife and mother. I know that it's not the countless times I am wiping... wiping snotty noses, wiping watery eyes, wiping dirty bottoms, wiping sandy feet, wiping muddy hands. No.... it's not the wiping that I focus on. I know that I'm nurturing, teaching, building, and investing in life itself. And I truly love it. I know this is both a noble and essential responsibility even if I am becoming a minority in this profession. But it's the scary space in between that tears away at your confidence.

It's not a matter of too much free-time or too little demands. In fact I often wonder how much I can achieve in the short two hour afternoon nap I am gifted each day. There aren't enough hours in the day it seems, yet it's how I spend my time that has begun to trouble me. I could easily take on more projects, play dates, or professional development, but is that the best way to give my life purpose? Is it finding validation in adult interaction? Is it confirming my identity in the ability to interact in the corporate world by keeping abreast of all current news? Is it congratulating myself through the admirable service of volunteerism? Not only would it be difficult to achieve all of this with a toddler under my sole supervision, but I would be taking myself away from the calling to serve my family.

Even still, while I maintain to title of CEO of my household, if I'm not careful I begin to find my identity in my son and my husband. Both of which is neither healthy, nor fair to them.

No.... It boils down to a sincere recognition of prayerful consideration of the gift of precious moments. In this season, and it is just that--a short season--I must seek God's perfect face to give me purpose, direction, and identity. There will be days of production, days of frustration, and days of confusion. But when I am near to my Creator, I feel completely made. Opportunities will come, changes will occur, and it is how I approach those turns in my path that will define their outcome.

Whether it is the guilt of working away from your family, the struggles of working only among your family, or somewhere in between, know that whatever you do only has value if you are doing it within the perspective of thanksgiving and grace. And if it is a day where you feel your perspective is one that will affect everyone negatively, CHOOSE to change that perspective. After all, the sunrise is new each day, why can't each day be new with it?






~Purposeful Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew