Skip to main content

Hard waves

Heartache and hard times seem to come like heat: in waves. Right now, I feel I have escaped the wave. I feel a sense of respite and relief. My world doesn't seem to be hanging in the balance of the next uncertainty. However, I feel the wave around me in the lives of others. It feels as if I'm sitting in the middle of my sweet autumn breeze while I'm hearing story after story of diagnosis, loss, and turmoil. Once upon a time, I would anxiously pray and wonder when my time of turmoil would next hit, but I've had my share of storms since then. Now I can praise God in good times, knowing the hard will come again. Instead of living in fear, I feel assurance that I will again experience respite and joy, and one day all my sorrows will cease when I leave this body. There's no sense in trying to avoid waves; if you have someone bigger, who created the oceans, then you can live at a level of ease no matter your circumstances. When I hear of these hurts, my heart hurts too, but I have hope, and I hope for them, pray for them, and look for ways to ease the hurt from my own heart for them. Carry the burdens together, but don't let them weigh you down. There is a greater peace that surpasses all human comfort. It's not a matter of if, but when hardship will come. Like death, hard times are inevitable. You just have to see each moment as purposeful as it relates to your overall story. Our family is trying to dress in "when we grow up" for Halloween, and I could only come up with "writer." (This isn't my best attempt either.) Every good author knows that stories, even fairytales, are not made up of lives free from heartache. Rather, the ones with twists, turn, and triumphs over evil make the tales worth telling. Here's the last installment of our travel tales. There were definitely twists and turns, but we only caught snaps of a few moments worth sharing....


The rock-lined coast was more beautiful than a phone can capture.

A fun coffee bus stop!





Hearst Castle proved anti-kid, but we had our own laughs at the grandeur  here.

While the kid scavenger hunt kept this one busy, we soon learned the pitfalls of gaining stuff only to collect dust as a museum.

Boys were not allowed to be boys here.

I wonder if Mr. William Randolph Hearst would have approved of the strict behavior rules...

We only lasted through the outside, the ropes got a little too tight inside for our crew. Even a poor older man was scolded for stepping off the carpet one too many times! At least the boys echoed their love of playtime instead of "stuff you can't touch!"


I think the place in Morro Bay was a favorite. The boys loved watching the sun go down behind the rock. 

Quick visit to one of the first Spanish missions in San Louis Obispo. 




On vacation, ice cream makes a lot of tiredness disappear (and then come back stronger later.)


Freedom! Nothing breakable out here!







Why was Morro Bay a favorite? All the boys will tell you about the "marble game" invented with cool shells and marble runs. They literally looked like a bunch of poker fellas. 

Dino parks come in a close second to marble games. 








Sweet travel buddy.

A park with a marble maze!? Who could have dreamed of the coincidence!?

They kept calling the palms, pine trees. :)


Our last stop at Venice beach was quick. Boardwalks were just made for people-watching.

Traveling from L.A. to Atlanta on an early flight was a long day. Enough said.
Here's to our next tale... may it have as many twists and turns that make us all grow closer together and to our "ocean creator!"

~Wave Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew