Skip to main content

Humble Comfort

It's funny how humans are such creatures of habit. We all know it. Take seating for instance: even if there aren't assigned seats, on day two of class, most people will sit in the same seat or same seating section as the day before. Do you sit in the same area at church? Dinner table? Or take toddlers as another example: once they have a semi-established routine, their feathers get pretty rustled when forced to adapt that routine (unless it involves cookies, ice cream, or the like.)

Likewise, even during an undesired life change, we quickly establish a new routine and get quite comfy, quiet quickly. I believe it all stems from our desire to control our own lives. If we have even the smallest grasp of future outcomes, we feel a bit more at ease with the present. Also, believing that we can predict our future to some degree puffs up our own pride feathers (whether we admit it or not). Recognizing that our perceived control is merely a mirage enables us to open our eyes to the definition of faith and humbles us enough to give others grace. Proverbs 27:1 says, "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring." After you've been married, it's easier to think you have "marriage advice" to give. After you've hand babies, you subconsciously think you understand all newborns. Once you've made it through your children's teenage years, you think you can tackle the world. Once you've cared for someone with cancer, you may feel like you have a better grip on tragedy than someone who has not. While experience is certainly a wonderful teacher, I'm learning that humility should be my preferred goal. Even though this trek has felt long and hard at times, I still have so very much to learn. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring, what it will be like to bring Levi home, or what hardships we may or may not face 5, 10, or 20 years from now. I'm sure none of this is new to anyone, but it's my own humble revelation that I don't want to forget when life becomes a bit more routine again. 

The past few days Levi has begun to act like a "term" baby! It's been amazing to praise God for every answered prayer! He's opened his eyes both times I've come to visit "hearing me" and showing me all that he's trying to learn. He's maintained great stats, tries to swallow without holding his breath, spit up on me and cried loudly immediately following that reflux (I've never been so happy to be spit on or cried at)! Its like he's starting to turn a corner. Since we don't know what tomorrow holds, we will praise God for today and say thank you for continuing to pray for our family!

Prayers and Praises below...


Woa! So you are my mommy!?

 

 
Praise! 
- Levi weighed 6 lbs 8 ounces last night!
 - Levi's heart echo came back clear, and that tiny PDA (hold in his heart from birth has almost entirely closed up on its own)
- Levi is clearly trying to swallow on his own even if it's hard
- Levi's neck strength looks to be improving!

Prayers-
- The ENT will come evaluate Levi at the beginning of next week
- The blood work results regarding some common muscular disorders should be back next week
- Levi's reflux and ability to swallow
- Levi's ability to continue to ween slowly off of oxygen
- Levi's future feeding capabilities
- Levi's continued hand and foot therapy


Thank you so so much!
~Comfy Buster


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew