Skip to main content

PERSPECTIVE


I don't want to believe a lie. Who does? But if I don't know it's a lie, then I don't know not to believe it, right? So, how do I know unless I look at something from another perspective?  It's all about perspectives. Generally we all think that the way we view life is the best way until we've been given an alternative view. After a week with a sick 10 month old, I've seen life from a different angle. We, as humans, typically don't change up our day-to-day operations unless we are on vacation, sick, or going through a major life event. Thus, I've decided to try an experiment this week:

I am a naturally routine person. That is one of the major reasons I adore my husband. He has always been able to get me to be spontaneous and impulsive: two things I yearn to be but can't do very well when left to my own devices. I mean really... During a normal week, I have certain days to drink coffee and certain to drink tea, days for laundry, and days for exercise. I even try to schedule in days with nothing scheduled (which kind of defeats the purpose). Now before you think I'm crazy, realize that I get my hyper-organized lifestyle from my own mother, and there are some benefits to this type-A type of living. However, I realized how I will probably scar my own child with this lack of flexibility. As much as I try to be flexible in life and have learned to "roll with inevitable punches and curves in the road," especially with a baby, I have decided to have a purposefully unscheduled week. Think the movie Yes Man! meets the movie Eat Pray Love. I mean I will obviously do this within reason. I still have obligations as a mother, wife, teacher, and tutor; thus, I can't fly off to Scotland because I desire spontaneity. However, this personal challenge is not only a benefit to my own growth and my son's growth, but more importantly a recognition of my need for the Spirit's growth. 

If you know anything about Christianity, you know that God gave his believers His own Spirit as "a helper" to lead us through this challenging life. (Praise the Lord for this gift!) 
Unfortunately, in the same way I dance with my husband, I tend to take the lead in my own life and neglect to live (as the Christian culture calls it) "spiritually led." Instead of asking the perfect Spirit to guide my every step, I choose to make my own way and ask the Spirit to come along side of my plans.  I hope to change this during the next 7 days. I hope to rise each day and open myself up to the smallest of changes in my normal day so as to see what God has in store for me. I pray I can see things from a new perspective that I wouldn't otherwise have recognized in my own day-to-day. 

I challenge you to try something new this week.  If you are naturally unorganized, see if you can schedule time for three important things every day this week. If you are naturally quiet, open yourself to talking to a stranger. Whatever it may be, we could all use a dose of perspective. We don't know what we don't know. I'm excited to see what the week holds... Who knows, maybe I will take that trip to Scotland after all.

~Busted Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew