Skip to main content

perspective

Many people wonder why you need to go to another country to serve. Well, I don't think you need to. In terms of "serving"--i.e.  helping, assisting or  giving to others-- I agree that our country needs a ton of service. Heck, serving in downtown Atlanta in some of the poorest, most dangerous neighborhoods is pretty much like being in a different country. Although, there's a difference between giving aid and spreading the gospel. God has done SO many unbelievable things in my life that I should constantly be giving thanks to Him. Just like when I find an amazing, new coffee shop and want to tell the world, so too, I want to tell the world of God's amazing gift of grace and love. There are so many people who have heard of Jesus in our country of battling church corners, but there are many people who have never even heard of the name Jesus who live in complete darkness on other side of the globe. That's not to say that there aren't people in North America who need to hear the good news of Jesus, but why not spread the news locally, regionally, and globally? I think it's a draw on one's heart that must be experienced to properly explain. Our Texas-Ecuadorian pastor gave it to us another way. He said, "When the Ecuadorians see you Americans come all the way over here to help them in life and in ministry, they too decide to go out and serve others in love." It's like a sort of chain reaction. A "pay it forward," if you will.  Trust me, you may think it's just a way to "serve", but I can't help but think it's a way to meet my extended family.


~CC




Comments

  1. perspective, for sure, sweet lady. I love how you offer that serving abroad is like meeting your "extended family"...
    what a beautiful thought!

    Hope all is well in Cali, sister! So excited to see you on monday...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...