Skip to main content

Firsts

My days of freedom are dwindling.... only 4 days and counting... the non-educators have zero sympathy, I know. But for those of you who have ever had a profession where you encounter a "busy season", imagine busy season lasting 10 months. You really need those two months of solitude to remember why you chose your profession in the first place. 
Like any "brief" hiatus, as the finish line approaches, there is a rush to complete all that you planned for the said break. 

I made great Cappuccino Brownies for my small group that turned out amazing!
I think I've decided I'm not a horrible baker after all. Recipe at bottom...
Is your mouth watering yet?
The original recipe called for a thick frosting, but I lightened it up a bit with a summer glaze.
One of my student's parents felt a little bad for me having to take on her challenging daughter and gave me a giftcard to Shakespeare's Tavern last spring. We just now got the chance to go!
As a literature teacher, who teaches Shakespeare, I can't believe I've never been here. It was so fun! Twelfth Night was the scene of a great date night with by hubby and some yummy Shepherd's Pie on the side. 
As your Coffee Connoisseur, I can't believe I've never been to a "CUPPING", until now. My friend Ashley and I went to Counter Culture for a free "cupping" on Friday. Imagine a wine tasting, but with coffee. I loved it!




Cappuccino Brownies come from the "What's Cooking" Baking Cookbook, but I was lacking a few things and didn't want the rich icing so I will note the changes made: 

Generous 1.5 cups self-rising flour (I only had all-purpose which you can look up online how to add 1/8 teaspoon salt and extra teaspoon of baking powder)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa (plus extra for dusting)
1 C butter softened (I only had a half a cup so I used EVOO for the other half)
Generous C of sugar
4 eggs beaten
3 tbsp instant coffee powder dissolved in 2 tbsp of hot water

(CubBuster's) Icing

1/2 tsp vanilla
Confections Sugar
1/2 cup milk

Grease an 11x7 shallow cake pan and line bottom with wax paper. Sift flour, baking powder, and cocoa into bowl and add butter, sugar, eggs and coffee. Beat well with electric whisk or by hand until smooth, then spoon into prepared pan and smooth the top. 
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until risen and firm. let cool in pan for few minutes then turn out onto wire rack and peel off lining paper. Let cool completely. 
To make frosting, beat all ingredients. Start with a cup of sugar and continue adding more as you beat with electric mixer until consistency desired. (I had it pretty light but thick enough to spoon out) drizzle over entire brownie block before slicing. It will be absorbed naturally by the brownie. ENJOY! 


~Cappuccino CubBuster

Comments

  1. Sweetness...
    gonna TOTALLY make your Cappy Brownies -- GF style to celebrate the notorious start of school! WHOOOOP! MOUTHWATERING FOR SHO, woman!

    Would love to attend a cupping with you sometime...
    bring on the dark roast, sistah!

    LOVE and LINGERING FREEDOM TO YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew