Skip to main content

Ingles es muy deficil pero pan de calabacín es muy bueno!

I love being able to cook, bake, volunteer, and catch up with friends! This break has been awesome! So the past couple of days I've spent a couple hours teaching immigrants to speak English. At Sandy Spring ESL, volunteers are needed to dictate, review, and teach basic English reading, writing, and speaking skills to mostly spanish-speakers living in the Atlanta area. While slowly (and with much patience-- teaching someone a language when they barely speak it requires a LOT of patience), trying to teach my native language (and being thankful at the same time that I can interject spanish words to help clarify what I'm saying in English), I realized how difficult English is! I mean come on-- why are there so many irregular words that don't follow the general rules? Take plurals for instance-

Goose- Gooses, nope, it's Geese sorry. I have no good explanation for it either.
Person- we don't really use the word Persons much, nope the correct answer is People. Sorry, I don't know why.

Or what's with all the English homophones-

There- Their
Write- Right

Man, I never realized how confusing English was, but I guess I should probably jump on the English is Awesome and Easy to Learn band wagon since I'm about to teach adolescents how amazing and important it is.
Selfishly though, my future students will probably learn to work my soft side. This sweet high school-looking boy was my pupil on Tuesday, and he had to create sentences using verbs turned into nouns. Like, bake into baker or jump into jumper. Well, when he got to the would teach to teacher, my heart melted at his sentence and I knew I was going into the perfect profession. He was so excited that he thought of the perfect sentence, and he enthusiastically exclaimed, "You are the BEST TEACHER!" Wow, I'm a sucker for the suck ups!

Oh, and here's a great recipe I just made for the family-- A yummy and healthy Zucchini Bread 
I tried explaining the concept to Brooke, but she had never heard of such a bread product. Pumpkin bread? Yes. Carrot Cake? Yes. Banana Bread? Yes. But not Zucchini Bread. Give it a shot.

Zucchini Bread
Ingredients
3 cups whole wheat flour (this is the real healthy part-- you can use regular if you want but the whole wheat gives it a nutty flavor)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup of honey
1 cup of milk
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup butter (equals 1 stick-not as healthy)
2 cups zucchini- shredded and uncooked (get your veggies in a good way)
1.5 cups chopped walnuts


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease and flour two small or one large loaf pan
3. Stir together first 7 ingredients and set aside
4. Place milk, eggs, butter, honey, and zucchini in a large mixing bowl
5. Add dry ingredients and beat until batter is blended. Add in walnuts
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Remove and cool on rake for 5 minutes. 


Tips
* Can be great warm with a little butter spread
* Be sure you don't put the extra zucchini peals down the garbage disposal or you'll clog it up in the pipe like I did! 
* If you run out of walnuts because you misread how many walnuts to add, you can also substitute sliced almonds, but the walnuts bites will be better in my opinion
*Remember to take a picture so you can show it on your blog before its all eaten!
ENJOY!

Comments

  1. In my defense I would just like to say that, as a bread connoisseur, zucchini is one of the last things I would expect to find in yummie bread...BUT it is one of my favorite veggies so how could it be wrong haha. I'm so glad you are opening my mind to all these new treats cubbuster!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster