Skip to main content

Mother's Day Correspondence

Many mamas know that once you become a mother, sleep and physical nourishment go by the wayside for a very long time in the pursuit of providing these necessities for your young. Children seem to sense that you are not eating and sleeping as much, so they too choose to forgo these essentials during various growth stages (at least that's been my experience with all four boys). Once they hit adolescence, though, their compassion doesn't correlate as precisely; while you continue to lose rest over their life choices, they indulge in an exorbitant amount of sleep and food. Giving our offspring the fundamental building blocks to health and sanity seems indisputable, yet somehow they find a way to dispute it at different ages.
Even though the world marks out special days on our calendar to remember those who have given up their lives for others, we must remember them on the non-essential days because life doesn't always correlate to our calendars. Sometimes our kids are sick or tired on mothers day. Sometimes they are fighting overseas. Some women want to be a wives or mothers by a certain date that never comes. Some lose their mothers or never knew them at all. Some are sick, hurting, or alone this mother's day. But when life doesn't correspond to our wishes, we remember that life rarely does. I remember my mother telling me that "life isn't fair," and I hated that comment. I heard my oldest child restate this frustration recently. It SHOULD be fair mommy! he retorted.  To which I reminded him (and myself) that it should NOT because then Jesus should NEVER have died such a brutal death, and we would NEVER deserve to live forever in Heaven.
I do desire to "get up while it is still night; provide food for [my] family... and work vigorously" in hopes that "[my] children arise and call [me] blessed; my husband also praises [me]... [because I] fear the Lord"  (Proverbs 31:15, 17, 28, 30). However, this isn't always my motivation. I admit that mothering is more difficult, more death-defying, and more humbling than any other experience on earth. It was not until I became a mother that I could appreciate those women that give up themselves day after day without expecting a corresponding return on their investment.

To all the moms, especially my own, may you rest in the knowledge that you have given in so many secret places, and "your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Thank you for loving us well!


My sweet big boys wanted to get ready for Mommy Day with their own gifts...


 


But this sweet boy was just trying to recover from surgery.

Ro Ro has always been my sleeper and eater, but lately he's not done either very well. :(


But Daddy comes through these early years with simple sweetness that goes a long way!

Breakfast in bed is one of my favorite traditions

This was a sweet moment that lasted only a moment before the tired tears and bickering ensued. That's when I remember that the little moments throughout the days and months will be what I remember for a lifetime.

~Corresponding Buster


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew