Skip to main content

Once upon a time

Once upon a time I scored the exact same on both math and verbal sections of the Scholastic Aptitude Test. It may be that I'm equally as smart in both areas, or equally as dumb, but I'd venture to say that my brain simply prefers balance. Areas like algebra come easier because there is an obvious mathematical equation. Whereas geometry, theorems, and statistical information have always proven ambiguous and bewildering for me. Similarly, iambic pentameter, phonics, and grammar have obvious guidelines I can follow with ease, but the beauty of writing and creativity is also very attractive to me. Thus, whenever I think I understand something, the anomaly occurs.

Once upon a time I believed that having a life free of hardship equated to a life free of worry.
     Now I know that humans tend to worry when things are well and feel more peace when they have nothing left to do but trust peacefully.

Once upon a time I believed people read their Bibles for the same reason people prayed five times a day to Allah, it was simply a part of their religion.
     Now I know that reading my Bible equates to breathing air- it keeps me healthy, it nourishes my soul, it guards my thoughts, it opens up a door to hearing God. It's not a rule or a religion, it's a way of staying in truth, on the train track. Without it, derailment is inevitable.

Once upon a time I believed it would be terribly difficult to have any children, let alone many in a short amount of time.
     Now I know that God's plans are always, ALWAYS, better than my own, and He knows more about the human body than any doctor I've met.

Once upon a time I believed little Levi would NEVER be able to stand on a stage and sing and dance with friends as a large audience watched him.
     Now I know that Levi will continue to surpass my wildest assumptions. Just when I think I've figured out my children, they go and change, and then change again.

Just as we all do, year after year after year.


This year, Silas got to sing two days in a row for the Mother's Day Musical. I think day one in the audience and yummy snacks helped prepare Levi for his turn on day two. 

On day two, these two thought they were ready to preform too. 

I braced for tears, tantrum, or stone-cold terminator, but I got joy, jubilation, and gyrations! 

After musical snacks are always the best part though.

Sweet treats continued into the weekend as we picked the boys' favorite fruit.











The tears welled in my eyes at the end of the musical when Levi blew me a kiss. Once upon a time, I could not have imagined Levi as he's growing today, let alone all four of my healthy boys. What a beautiful gift from God.

~Storybook Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew