Skip to main content

Ask and Receive

As the saying goes: Ask and you shall receive. Although it's not a cliche saying, it's actually biblical. Whoever asks, it will be given; whoever seeks will find; whoever knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7). However, like much of the Bible, we've become accustomed to  taking verses out of context and assuming we should be able distort truth without any due process. This childish mindset allows flawed man to a la carte our faith until much of the world chooses to ignore a relationship with God all together.
I digress... When I asked for difference and change recently, I (as per usual) neglected to recognize that change takes more forms than I realize. My true NICU baby who has never had a problem sleeping, never desired any form of comfort in his bed starting screaming violently, throwing himself on the floor, and causing himself such intense anxiety that he was making himself sick at bedtime. He only goes to school on Tuesday and Thursday for a few hours, so these unexpected and outrageous tantrums seemed like a farce.  Then, I remembered that Silas had similar anxiety about sleep when he was Levi's age and started going to school regularly. I guess I should be thankful that Levi is experiencing some "normalcy" in his childhood? 
It may or may not surprise some to know that I was a child riddled with fear and anxiety. I could barely function at the thought of second grade away from my mom. Thanks be to God, I have since recovered and actually welcome change. There is hope! When I give my boys opportunities to face their fears with care, compassion, and stern consistency, I know that they can rise above any anxiety that separation from security can create. 
Silas cannot wait to go to school and socialize with his friends, and I know Levi needs the push away from big brother to really fly and speak for himself. Levi tells me that he doesn't play with anyone at school and stands by the fence on the playground, but I think his three hours of strict shyness have caused an amazing explosion of speaking in sentences when he gets home. Plus, his teacher said he used the potty two times already, which he doesn't care much about at home. I think he knows that it is meant to be a silent and private activity! Hallelujah! 
It's hard to see our babies afraid, but I can speak from experience that they need to face some of their unmerited fears in order to grow. Parenting really is all about letting go, and I have to remind myself that that includes little Levi too. 

My truth this week.

Big boys in carpool! Tears came a minute after this picture was taken!

End of the first school week celebration!

Levi's favorite color. He doesn't care the flavor as long as it's red!



Silas set up this confetti celebration all by himself. He wanted to keep celebrating the end of the week!

Kind of have to let the paper fly everywhere when so much work was put into it!


Look at him chowing down on that sandwich for lunch in the school parking lot! I never would have imagined he'd eat like that!

This trooper eats in the car all the time too!

Sweet Luca gets plenty of love despite having so much competition.

These are the days...
~Asking Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew