Skip to main content

Invisible

I've taken more "trips" the past few months than ever before in my life. Silas always packs each of us a little bag filled with toys and goodies for the train or plane we are about to board. He, of course, is not only a passenger on these journeys, but also the conductor, pilot, and tour guide. Even though we haven't actually traveled outside our general zip code the last 365 days, our invisible trips become more and more enjoyable as Silas' imagination sparks my own. I wonder at what age we begin to lose sight of the invisible. For me it probably happened around age ten when my parents divorce occurred shortly after mythical holiday spirits became fictitious. While both events seemed equally dramatic at the time, it is a wonder that anyone is able to believe in anything that cannot be visually, audibly, or tactically comprehended.
I am just now beginning to realize how much of our world is invisible. At least the things that really matter. Not only is love seemingly "invisible," but hope, joy, peace, and the like. On the other hand, while many of life's beautiful aspects can't be seen, there is also a very real, yet very invisible war taking place on Earth. I'm not one to hang on the evil (as seen in my overflowing cup comments), but I recently picked up a classic fiction, The Screwtape Letters, by the brilliant C.S. Lewis. I'm not sure what led me to purchase the 1942 Epistolary novel, but I think everyone should glance at the interesting (albeit unique narration) piece of literature. It seems to pronounce fear and pride as man's greatest weakness of which I wholeheartedly agree. The narrator, Uncle Screwtape, writes to his immature demon nephew an important reminder, "[God] relies on the troughs even more than on the peaks; some of His special favourites [sic] have gone through longer and deeper troughs than anyone else" (Lewis 38). It would appear that those who suffer more are closer to the God in Heaven. I can actually understand this because prayers are often less superficial when one is truly in need.
God: another invisible being, along with anything else Spiritual you may choose to believe in. Children find it much easier to actually see and believe in the things that adults can no longer enjoy or fear. I think that's why Jesus said anyone who wants to enter the Kingdom of Heaven must become like a little child. It is not naive, it's simply faith, invisible faith.
Instead of praying that my children are immune from hardships, or spared life's difficulties, I pray that they would know the beauty of the ashes, and that they would experience whatever is needed to get them humbly on their knees, unafraid of anything except being separation from God. 

Even though prayer seems to produce invisible results at times, it is a very real and very important tool at our constant disposal! I cannot thank you enough for praying this last week. Levi has hit a new wrung on his ladder! He's doing wonderful! We didn't get to see our ENT (a long story that can only be seen as purposefully comical), but we will see him in a couple weeks. Meanwhile, something clicked for Levi, back on formula, a hunger medicine, and new inhaler, and he's EAGER to eat. He hasn't thrown up in four days! He's leaning in to lick food off a spoon, anxious to swallow more. He's putting all kinds of things in his mouth (that are safe of course), and he's communicating in his own unique, precious ways! He is sleeping better, and just seems stronger. I couldn't be more thrilled! No matter what steps we take backwards again, it gives me a glimpse at his capable future!
 Legs free, Levi got to go in a swing for the first time! I've never seen so much joy exude from swinging!




While not invisible, this fake snow (baking soda and suave shampoo) was a hit!

I cannot tell you how amazing the last week has been. Even though Silas caught a little stomach bug, Levi was protected, and prayers for Levi have been greatly answered! Thank you. Thank you!


No.... We love you!

~Invisible Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew