Skip to main content

Non-restless

Just before Levi was born, I had been co-leading a woman's Bible study about a Jennie Allen book called Restless. This was the first time I'd been asked to help lead anything with the exception of normal teacher-student responsibilities. While a little nervous, Jennie Allen's book increased my interest because I could relate to the content perfectly.  Prior to Levi's dramatic entrance into the world, I felt very restless. I kept trying to increase any free time I had with important obligations even though I had pretty much filled my calendar to the point where I'd even plan "down time" in order to observe it.  While I've always been someone who valued parenting, spontaneous adventures, and quiet hours, I also felt a restlessness with regard to how to fill my time. Once I felt like I figured out the "mom" thing, I was ready for the next challenge. It's beyond laughable to think that we ever have anything "figured out." In my own mind, God must have been preparing me for something bigger though. I wanted to utilize each of my moments in a way that maximized my time and my abilities. Little did I know what God had planned just around the corner, in a matter of months to be exact.

We were almost finished with the study the night my water started breaking ever so slowly. Ironically, as abruptly as my end to leading a Bible study, so was my restless emotion. Since having a new "normal," I have never before felt so steady. Instead of feeling as though I'm being prepared for something in the future, I feel as though I'm living it out day by day. I couldn't be more joy-filled with my roles and responsibilities. While I naturally have days that I'd like to end a bit quicker, I do not think there is any better use to my time than to care for all that I am caring for these days. Growing lives, learning to give care, letting go of selfish ambition, watching little ones change, making a home, seeing new waiting room faces, trusting in the unknown, all give me purpose and peace. Every day brings unexpected adventures. While some are more tiresome than others, they all provide a platform for living in the here and now. I cannot imagine living any other life, and if I'm ever weary, at least it's from being purposeful and not restless. Plus, when I look at all my little Levi is doing, I am encouraged to do more.

He's been a rock star these past few days...


We are so thankful our Gibby was here to help these past few days, and Levi loves his new "gym." Thanks Gibby!

The terminator here wanted to capture this moment for when his big bro tries to pick on him in the future.

Levi got his heart checked before surgery, and that tiny hole closed up on it's own! Yay! One less doctor to see!

Big man didn't really have to wear the hairnet, but I couldn't resist the photo op. He had his achilles heels clipped and did marvelous in surgery! Three more weeks and we get those stinky casts off!

This is what you look like when you have to arrive at a hospital by 6 am.

Big man was the smallest man waiting in line for his operating room.

You did it bubba. Mommy is so proud of you!


This one made me forget I got up at 4:30 once we made some fall pumpkin muffins!
Silas and I had so much fun with our backyard picnic on a perfect fall day!

~Steady Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew