Skip to main content

Soak it up

Baby Smith will be here any minute, but in the waiting I've found so much peace that has been teaching me patience. Instead of joining in on the "aren't you so uncomfortable", "I bet you are SO ready", "you should just go get induced before that baby gets too big" comments, I'm truly thankful to have time that I will rarely ever have again. Time to pause and rest; time to soak up truth; time to enjoy the little pleasures in life.
Not only have I enjoyed some delightful pedicures and dark chocolate truffles, but I've watched my hubby enjoy his most prized hobby- some peaceful time on the greens. He's soaking up great spring golf days before he switches to some stinky diaper changing days.

This is the best part about golfing with Matthew- this particular angle ;)

I've also found some great insight from the various blogger sites as I've rested on my spring break week. This excerpt from the "Desiring God" website written by Rachel Jankovic  was truly inspiring as I approach this new calling: 

How much have we listened to partial truths and half lies? Do we believe that we want children because there is some biological urge, or the phantom “baby itch”? Are we really in this because of cute little clothes and photo opportunities? Is motherhood a rock-bottom job for those who can’t do more, or those who are satisfied with drudgery? If so, what were we thinking?

Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for. Christian mothers carry their children in hostile territory. When you are in public with them, you are standing with, and defending, the objects of cultural dislike. You are publicly testifying that you value what God values, and that you refuse to value what the world values. You stand with the defenseless and in front of the needy. You represent everything that our culture hates, because you represent laying down your life for another—and laying down your life for another represents the gospel.

Our culture is simply afraid of death. Laying down your own life, in any way, is terrifying. Strangely, it is that fear... fear that your dreams will die, that your future will die, that your freedom will die—and trying to escape that death by running into the arms of death.

I am so excited for all that I will surely learn about, grow through, and humbly mess up with as Baby Smith enters our lives. Here's to new beginnings!

Final days of pregnancy... we are ready as we'll ever be!
 ~Expecting Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew