Skip to main content

Cyclone Center

Two weeks on the road with for little boys has its share of hassle, yet, so does having children in general. It is natural to seek comfort, but the more our society invents ways of achieving maximum convenience, the more children are viewed as a burden rather than a blessing. Babies eventually sleep, toddlers eventually care for themselves, and we all eventually grow old. You have kids knowing the phases change quickly, and the blessings outweigh the burdens. Likewise, if you love traveling, you will eventually get over the bumps of packing and unpacking, airplanes and airports, time and space changes. Then you will arrive at a beautiful new phase together.
As we started our trip out west, three of my four boys were sick, two were not sleeping well, one had just busted out his teeth and one was barely eating.  Four days into the trip, everyone was healthy, sleeping through the night, and eating everything in sight. It wasn't a magical vacation; there were meltdowns and discipline dilemmas, but it was a gift of stepping outside our normal cyclone.
I know that we can all get caught in our own "spiral," where we are so entrenched in the eye of a tornado that we lose our sense of reality. Whether its a work-related issue, a relationship encumbrance, or an uncertain obstacle, the walls of a cyclone block our ability to see past the problem. We begin to feel trapped by the dark clouds, and imagine unrealistic darkness that exists eternally everywhere. Sometimes we literally have to evacuate the area in order to see the sun somewhere else. In the case of California, people were evacuating homes due to potential wildfires. Their heat, similar to a southern cyclone, can feel like it's liable to hit your home any minute. We must change our scenery when we feel  a little burnt in order to breathe better. I admit often times my pride keeps me from feeling any burn or cyclone symptoms.
I had my 35th birthday in Yosemite this year, and with a little time to reflect, I recall my continued refinement with what it means to rest right. It wasn't enough for me to muse on the topic of rest and later teach about it last February. Lessons that are set on repeat tend to leave lasting imprints that forever change us.
 I was recently reminded that God created the Sabbath before the fall. It is not a result of our selfishness that we need time alone, it's a gift, which reflects humility: we are not God. The world will run just fine without us. As a homemaker I can see the worthiness of my calling, forgetting that I am not supernatural. I cannot give to the point of burn-out in the name of selfless love, hoping to mimic my maker. Nor should I  join the "put yourself first" bandwagon, seeking to stop when life feels uncomfortable.
"Do not be overrighteous, nor overwise--why destroy yourself? Do not be wicked or foolish--why die before your time? It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. Whoever fears God will avoid all extremes" (Ecclesiastes 7:16-18). 

We cannot live in the uncomfortable, yet we must endure that which makes us uncomfortable in order to receive divine comfort. I am beyond grateful for our trip--the memories, the moments, the milestones, but I owe much gratitude to my husband and his organization, NAMB, who both continue to humble me with affirmation and encouragement as I stand beside my man growing future generations of men simultaneously. When the cyclone begins to surround, real men can pull me out before I reach the center. These boys are not the center of my universe, but at the center of my daily life, and I love learning and loving them each day...

 Sorry ahead of time for the overload, but this is just the first two places on our travels...



Getting ready to leave ATL airport!

Luca's first snow in Lake Tahoe!







Guess who felt jet-lagged.

Some of the best homeschooling happens during travel time!



That's a little better Ro!








Headed by Lake Mono  on our way to Yosemite.






I spy two of my cubs...

My b-day moment of bliss.

Choo Choo time!



This was probably the last trip I'll have someone sleeping this way.






Someone got tired again...

It is fall time!






Don't need front teeth for s'mores!

Loved hiking throughout Yosemite!






Mama deer with three boys (i'm just assuming their boys)

These boys hiked hard!



Worth it.

I convinced another one how great fall time is!

God's grandeur and gifts.


more pics to come...

~Cyclone Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew