Skip to main content

Wandering in the Wilderness

Recently, I was asked to speak at an upcoming Women's Gathering for our local church on the topic of "rest." The irony was not lost on this increasingly sleep-deprived mama, nor was the requester blind to the humorous connotation. Yet, as I've been walking slowly through my Bible alone and tired, asking God earnestly to teach me fresh insights, the words are waking me from drudgery with new perfect parallels and inspiring wisdom. God has allowed me a lack of physical rest to truly teach me what the word means. It is a refinement process I require. Absence of something aids in the analysis of its power.
However, before contemplating rest or R.E.M. sleep, I was first struck by the wives and patriarchs of the Old Testament. So many of them jumped ahead of God's plans, eager to be in the next phase of life they felt they were suppose to enjoy. Often we believe if we can just change one particular avenue of our lives, especially those getting in the way of our plans, everything else would fall perfectly into place. When we try to change people ourselves, we only harm ourselves. Like Jospeh seeking to prove his future value to his big brothers, or Moses trying to judge two fellow Egyptians, our impulsive and impatient remarks merely send us wandering in a prison or a desert. We may be anxious to see God use our lives for something good, or for those excluding God, we may just feel obdurate rights to happiness. Either way, when we prematurely meddle, we miss the maturation process. We all need periods of refinement to properly prepare us for our future. We would never ask a child to skip puberty and head straight into the workforce at the age of seven or eight. There are too many valuable trials by fire that we all endured in those "wandering years." Likewise, Moses' long period in Midian and Joseph's long days in jail refined their patience and character, which prepared their hearts for great leadership. I can't skip these weary days because the wandering makes the wilderness look that much more beautiful.

Beautiful boy is working on tooth number two already! 

I think we are about done with this winter bear! Made it through all four boys!

These two "twins" are beautiful in how they teach each other too. 

I'm thankful Levi can teach Roman a few things about bubble blowing ...

And this big boy is teaching all three about big bike riding!

Growing in the wilderness so fast!


No matter how tired we are, this one always gets us to smile!
~Wilderness Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew