Skip to main content

Tolerance increase

I often wonder if the handle of this blog is a bit bewildering. Now that most of my thoughts and words are consumed with child-like consumerism, my thoughts on coffee are fewer and father between posts. However, my consumption of deep, dark demitasse increases every year. After becoming a barista at the age of sixteen, my view of caffeine changed. I never wanted my tolerance level to exceed that of a healthy norm as I saw the negative side effects play out around my work place, but I cannot say the same is true for my taste tolerance. The strength of coffee needs to be higher on the charts than the average Joe (pun intended). I have no problem drinking rich, black decaffeinated coffee as my tolerance and enjoyment for the flavor quality has strengthened over time. When I was working behind the counter pouring and brewing espresso, I frequently burned my fingertips. Like a seasoned chef, I also have the benefit of strengthened temperature tolerance. My tongue and fingertips can handle burns better than others. So it goes: as our pain frequency increases, so does our tolerance because tolerance deals more with quantity than quality. Burn me once, and I may forget the pain. Burn me twice, I may not forget for a while, but burn me 162 times, and I'm likely to have a completely different definition for the word "burn."
Recently I heard a perfect parallel regarding the 162 day suspension that Alex Rodriguez underwent for his involvement in Major League Baseball's Biogenesis scandal. Rarely do sports analogies hit home with me, but our pastor mentioned this story as it relates to suffering, more specifically the length or quantity of suffering, which registered with my own story. Apparently A-Rod commented in a recent interview on the length of his suspension, noting that he would not have changed or grown the same had it just been a fifty day withdrawal. Instead, (and these are my interpretations not quotes) the 162 days was perfectly suited to recalibrate and reinforce new behaviors. In other words, had he come out of his punishment or "suffering" too soon, he may not have learned the lesson needed for permanent change. But why suffer or endure in any way if you can avoid it?
I've regularly heard people say their "pain tolerance" is low when confronted with the idea of enduring any physical pain without medication, and I used to think pain tolerance was associated with genetic predisposition. However, the extreme difference between my children with regard to pain has revised my stance. Levi and Luca have endured more physical examinations and surgical procedures than their two blue-eyed brothers, and their pain tolerance is much higher. Do we then hope for more hardship in order to increase our tolerance level? Not necessarily, but we should seek to adjust our mindset in the midst of trials.
It has taken nearly 425 days for all four of my children to simultaneously sleep through the night. Not quite a serious trial, but in the midst of sleep deprivation, your whole world can feel like a trial. I'm sure I still have many sleepless nights ahead, but thankfully there has been a massive shift in my outlook on sleep. I could share many positive side effects of sleep deprivation, which I would not have understood five hundred days ago. 
Furthermore, our tolerance levels can transform our response to value. A shower before 8:00 in the evening, or more than an hour alone in a single week equates to a pampered vacation for me. Many mothers can relate to this type of shift. What was once an expected part of daily routine becomes an unexpected form of self-indulgence. It is my hope that I can somehow maintain this tolerance level once all my children are self-sufficient.
Our "suffering" serves to solidify our wholeness, lest we return to a life of fragments. 
My little Levi continues to prove the truth of James 1:2-4, and while he still has many years of maturing ahead, I believe he could personalize these verses better than many other four year-olds he knows. It's easy to pity those around the world lacking what we enjoy and tolerating what we believe intolerable. Perhaps we need to shift our tolerance a bit in order to see their authentic joy. 




Levi's joy about going to a "big boy" class was contagious!

We have shown up every day since the first day with new bumps and bruises. All par for the course with this strong little man.

School starting means we are looking forward to fall and travel fun. Luca fit right into the size-up fashion show.

Everyone loves fall around here.

Silas has a great first week of first grade!

His kindergarten class has seemingly over prepared him, which has made our adjustment so much easier!

We love Veritas!

Due to increased mosquito population, our grape-tomato plant is about all that has thrived this garden season, due to lack of tender care. Luca and Levi are the only ones enjoying the crop with me!

My tough cookies...

My tender sweets...

We don't get to ride the big yellow bus yet, but I think this will suffice. 

Everyone seems ready for school this year, but only the two big boys get to bring lunch elsewhere.

But they still know how to crack up at our lunch table. 




Little Luca will be intubated during his bronchial scope on Tuesday. We pray his tolerance for this procedure makes it another easy and positive one. Thank you for all the prayers!

~Tolerance Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew