Skip to main content

Homeschool Hybrid

Once upon a time there was one option for education: all eligible pupils of all ages entered and learned all together under the tutelage of one teacher (who must have been a saint!). Fast forward many generations and one became three options. If you had money, your children went to a nice private school where they were hopefully guaranteed an advanced degree, or you attended your locally zoned public school, choosing your residence based on preferred zonings, or you were quite socially awkward and stayed at home under the instruction of your mother. 
Today, their are more options than many people realize. Charter schools, international schools, homeschool hybrids, religious or church affiliated schools, public, private, or even a mix of all of the above. Thus, like many things today, the plethora of options, which should be a gift, can feel overwhelming for many young parents. 
As an educator and a mother, I've weighed and prayed about each child, each year, because I sincerely believe there is not one type of schooling that is best for all children. I admire those parents that don't choose "one route" for their family, but take things a year, or even a month, at a time. As I've mentioned before, my best friend's greatest concern before she passed away was her eldest child starting school. Now in heaven, I'm sure Kyra would tell everyone not to worry so much about your kids, academically, socially, or even spiritually. We can't save our kids of discomfort any more than we can control the wind. 

That said, I'm excited to try my hand at the Homeschool hybrid thing from the parent's perspective. I taught at Veritas when I had just one baby at home. Now as the parent of a first grader, my love of academic organization is aiding in our family preparations. I'm sure I'll be pulling my hair out some days, but after visiting our local public school for the after school activities meet and greet, I felt a peace that we made the right decision for this year. Sometimes I hate all the options we have in our bustling little city, I don't need seven groceries stores within a mile of each other, but in terms of education, choices are a blessing. Silas will go to Veritas a couple times a week, and attend his publicly zoned school for after school activities! Let the learning commence...


Every one of my kids has had a different favorite  "teething toy". Luca may end up in the dentistry field considering his choice.  

Because of our late school start, we had our own little smith science day. First, homemade catapults...

Second, erupting volcanoes!

Finally, homemade fossils we later hid in a sandbox to dig up! Definitely a boy day.

Luca is really wanting to join the big boys in all their school and summer fun. He is the first to respond to "say cheese!"

First time family fishing at our local park!



Sorry Luca, you can't join everything yet.


We've already received homework from all our teachers!  Love it!

Silas needed his own space to ensure we could complete all this homework. Matthew built a "Murphy desk" while I was away in California! 


Now you see it...
Now you don't!  It's incredible. We love our daddy!

Plus he found me this "gently used" gem for our learning room! I was really excited to get it stocked!

It's all coming together...

I quickly regretted this luau green we painted our dining room six years ago, but now I think it just might inspire some great thinking! ;)

This boy is now learning to walk! He just couldn't let everyone learn without him!

~Homeschool Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew