Skip to main content

Ropes of Love

"It was I who taught them to walk, taking them by the arms; but they did not realize it was I who healed them. For I led them with cords of human kindness and ropes of love; I lifted the yoke from their necks and bent down to feed them." - Hosea 11:3-4

I recently heard a woman say that she became Muslim because the church of Isalm was "obligated" to help her financially when she  could not afford to care for herself and her child. Often times we experience God's love when life is most difficult because people around us reach their arms out to help. It's a natural act of compassion and human kindness.  However, if it's an obligation then is it really an act of love? This sweet woman found out I was a Christian and said when she was young none of the "christians" she knew were very compassionate or helpful to her. While many of us steer clear of labels that have rubbed us roughly, we should be careful not to make sticker generalizations. I'm guilty of making assumptions about people with bumper stickers, and for that reason, I have never placed one on my vehicle in fear of being labeled. However, if we start avoiding "groups" of people that reflect hypocrisy or something we dislike, eventually we will have to stop associating with all humans beings. Then, we'd miss out on that genuine act of love that keeps us from sinking into the deep muck of life. The glimmer of hope heals us from within our circumstances by reaching a rope long enough for us to grab. Without the authentic hand of God reaching down through His human son, and now his authentic human followers who hold His Spirit, we'd be at a loss for love. Our ropes would be all too short to reach one another. So, instead of making broad generalizations, we should seek to get to know one another deeply so that we can see if someone's ropes, or roots, are real or merely producing fake fruit. Without God reaching down through human hands, I would not have made it through my life's valleys with the joy I experienced. His ropes are strong, and when He's taught us enough, we begin to walk on our own without strings attached.


This one isn't walking yet, but he's crawling everywhere now!
Our last cold days, and I just wanted to remember Ro's sweet look at 2! Next time he needs a hat he'll be almost 3!

But we are happy it's Spring!

And ready to play outside!

They keep shifting seats every single spring!

Spring means time to get the garden going!

Spring means cleaning, tossing, and finding our old baby blankets...

Spring means finding our own reflections...

Spring means sticking out our tongues as we concentrate on making a new "resurrection garden" for Easter

Spring means joy!
~Rope Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew