Skip to main content

Abnormal owing

I recently read an article from a mom who argued against the popular notion: my kids better take care of me when I'm old because they'll owe me big time! I must say after considering both sides, despite my hope that at least one of my boys will call me regularly after they've all married and moved, I agree with Gabrielle Blair (who, to my knowledge, is not related to me in any way)- I chose to bring children into this world (whether you think you have control over that feet of humanity or not, when you learn about the birds and bees, you make a choice). My kids didn't ask if they could please be a part of a broken and beautiful world full of chaos and calamity. They were put into my arms at some point, and my husband and I brought them into my world with the help of an Omnipotent God. They owe me nothing, but I have an opportunity to grace them with everything I possess.
Remembering that they are gifts not guarantees helps me on the hard days.
Believe you, me, the "normal" hard days where all four of my kids are just going "through a phase" is ten times harder than our abnormal hard seasons in and out of hospitals, ICUs, ERs, and the like. I've spent my share of nights on the fold-out hospital "futon," and I'm sure I still have many more in my future. Yet the covering of prayer, meals, and acts of service from our loved ones is never more strongly felt than when going through these extra-ordinary hard moments. From the outside people see that kind of hard, but I feel for the moms who are staying home and currently battling the ordinary tantrums, meltdowns, and the sick and sassy from toddlers to teens. When the "daily grind" starts to feel like it's grinding your teeth, you begin to believe lies about your role as a parent.
Our children were not put here to please us, serve us, or sustain us. Rather, we were chosen to guide, re-direct, and treasure their unique stories. They are born with wills, strong as they may show, and their spirit of selfish pride is the very same as our own.
So no matter how many times I wipe or spank their bottoms, they don't "owe" me a room at their residence in forty or fifty years. Lord-willing we will all be residing in the same heavenly home one day, and I pray that's good enough for us all. In the meantime, I must remember to double-check those easy to swallow expectations and hashtags; I don't want to buy into the many "one-liner" lies floating around web space that makes me feel better about being a mom of four or working as a homemaker. I chose my kids, they didn't choose me. If we forget to really ask ourselves what we believe, then we are certainly following a trend instead of a truth. In the midst of my crazy "normal" days, I pray I remember to stop and lend a hand and pray for other mamas who are just pressing into the good, hard of their normal day.

Levi still struggling to stay in his bed, but at least he's currently napping!

This one has been rising early since daylight savings started making for his own type of teen tude, but cheetah day was perfect for his growl!

Fresh air and river rocks make all our normal days better!

I'd say this one is the easiest right now with very simple norms. 

Two are always better than one, 

And mischief makes the house quiet. 

Silas is the "fastest" runner at school (supposedly), so he was pumped to race in his first mile fun run.

We were freezing that morning, but it really taught him how to  overcome challenges and persevere

He was almost in tears by the end when others were in the lead, but he never stopped running, and his whole demeanor changed when he got a medal at the finish line!

And we learned about water conservation too: a Win-win!

Smoothie afternoons are our "norm"

Ro's new norm is the fake cry to get what he wants!

I could eat this smoothie face!

This one just wants to be a part of it all! 

There's still a sweetness, though, that never gets abnormal!
~Owe Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew