Skip to main content

More and All Done

The first "signs" I teach my babies for communication purposes is "more" and "all done." They are easy and effective. Unfortunately, they seem to get the "more" first, which ensues a love of excess.
Some people enter into a slight depression when the holidays end due to their love of all things extra-ordinary. As a child, I thought like a child, and I was one of those people. Now, though, I have left some of my childish ways behind me, and I am equally excited to enter and exit the yuletide season.

Because of circumstances beyond our control, our children (like many in our generation) experience not one, not two, but five Christmases, including our own. By the fifth Christmas this year, my eldest son embarrassingly exclaimed, "That's it!?" After a serious discussion and apology on his behalf, I began to realize that his desire for more wasn't completely his fault. We have given him the erroneous impression that Christmas, birthdays, and all other "extraordinary" holidays involve gobs of gifts. Why does everyone want to load up my kids with material possessions, sweets treats, and excessive attention? Probably the same reason my husband and I put gifts under the tree. The expression of excitement and anticipation that comes from watching a child open a gift. We can't seem to help ourselves. Moreover, the traditions we experienced as children permeate our own expectations.
Thus, I cannot give the blame to extended family for my son's selfishness if I am not willing to change my own parental behavior. That's when two more facts dawned on me. First, I must pray hard about the traditions I'm renewing or beginning with my own family, knowing they may be passed down for generations to come. I'm currently reading a book on that very topic to help guide my endeavors. Second, I must remember that I was once a very selfish child, given "more" than my fair share, and I am now singing a different tune. The idea of selflessness doesn't happen naturally at the age of five. Just because my kids are given too much right now, does not mean they will desire "more" later. I can only hope to give them experiences outside our home beyond our current surroundings in order for them to see a world beyond their own desires. While the "more" felt like a little much this year, I realize this is a "first-world problem," and I pray my boys help a "third-world" one day. For now, the holidays are "all done," and I thank everyone who came to love one us in his/her own way.

We didn't see Santa or send Christmas cards, but I hope everyone we love feels loved this year!

Luca is growing quickly, which means he's sleeping less right now. How I can I be upset with that smile though!?

We had lots of firewood collectors during our wet and cold Christmas...

Only grab what you can carry is our Moto...


We don't sit inside just because its damp, muddy, or cold.


But we do love to cook indoors! Thanks for these Papa!

Happy birthday Jesus! Our family tradition!

Christmas Eve, we were all ready to get our health back, but head colds didn't keep these boys in bed.  It is always merry when you are surrounded by love.

~More Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew