Skip to main content

I'm the best at nothing

I am beginning to feel the same naive excitement you feel after climbing the starting hill of a roller coaster, realizing you have zero control of your physical safety. You basically accept your limited knowledge of gravity and kinetic energy while throwing caution to the wind and lifting both hands in blissful ignorance. There is a trust in an unseen engineer and a hope of a joyful thrill ride.

Young males have a greater chance of injury because they are predisposed to high risk behavior. When I worked at a brain and spinal cord injury hospital, these statistics became reality. Boys have an initial confidence in everything, providing them with a platform to jump before thinking. Now this isn't a universal truth, but I see the same hubristic attitude in my firstborn son, which finally illuminated my antithetical reflection. In other words, I have grown in experience, and my experience has led me to realize I know nothing.
For starters, I had no idea my LinkedIn profile stated I was currently teaching English at a local university. An insane amount of slander currently exists in our world! Forgive my oversight and lack of attention to detail.  I began to replace my diaper-changing hat with my rusty resumé critique helmet, and I remembered how I was taught to market myself. Selling our profiles and resumés is a full-time job; one where we begin to believe our own advertising: we are the best at everything.
I was ignorantly confident with my firstborn, which is probably why he is reflecting that same presumption now. I may have gathered "helpful tips" or become less "overwhelmed" because of built-up callouses, but every child, every season, every moment is full of humble novelty. There is no perfect pattern, no preemptive measurements, and no playbook. Like the pattern of the wind, my children change my presumptions daily. Yet this uniqueness keeps looking to the source of the weather.
If we are fulfilling a God-ordained role, our confidence stems from knowing Him. He is the best at everything, so knowing and trusting him with our circumstances fuels energy and tenacity that far outweighs a weather vane.
I may not know what the next hour holds, but all signs point to anything goes, and He will be more than sufficient for each day's work.


Get up, drink coffee, repeat.

He's emulating Levi more than anyone else. 

Speaking of... this sweet boy went on a special date to Target and loved every second of it!

I wanted to remember this moment, he gets so captivated by his audiobooks and legos that he doesn't know anyone else exists.  

There does seem to be a natural physical pattern to these boys. Start with rolling, move to airplane, next we should see planks before crawling!

I may not know anything, but I will keep learning these boys hearts as long as I  live. 

Captivated by Daddy's bedtime stories. I believe we are on chapter 9 of "The Three Muskateers"

Another captivating truth: my boys will do much for a homemade cookie. 

I do know that someone is teething!

And these boys are great sharing books. 


Luca will be undergoing follow-up surgery to check his subglottic hemangioma and double check the rest of his head and neck area a week from Tuesday. I am confident that we'll be in good hands!
Levi is also excelling with is new leg brace. His appointments have occurred without hiccups, and he's the best at showing off his growing skills!

We all have nothing and everything to lose without knowing who keeps us going.

~Nothing Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew