Skip to main content

Lie about Santa?

There was a large fence separating our backyard from the next door neighbor's, and they weren't very friendly when it came to our climbing over it every five minutes in order to retrieve our kickball. My parents had to instill a "no climbing the fence rule" when I was about five years-old to maintain amicable relations. Thus, I was surprised when my sister encouraged me to climb over that same wooden barrier a few days later to get our bouncing ball back. "What do I say if mom asks me if I got it?" my undefiled voice questioned. "She won't ask you, and if she does, just lie." My big sis had already mastered this cunning craft that completely evaded me. Presumably, my mama scolded and disciplined my behind that evening after my first attempts at the art-form, (some how mothers always find out) and I don't think I've ever readily lied since that day.
 I'm not sure if it's a firstborn trait or not, but my eldest child seems to be able to blatantly tell fibs as easily as my sister. He's even mastered the art of rationalization to make himself believe his own lies! At first, I felt the sickly judgments pass through my parental thoughts. How can he just openly lie without any remorse? Why does it come so naturally to him!? Is this a precursor for much larger issues involving dishonesty in his future!? Fortunately I came to realize that just because I've never had a good poker face does not mean my sins are any less grievous. Compared to our Savior's birth and life, we all favor The Grinch and Jesus could quote the following about me too:

Your soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knots!
While many would argue these adjectives only describe the scum of the earth who openly impart misery on others, I'd refute that without Jesus' Spirit in me, my thoughts and my instincts would resemble Mr. Grinch perfectly, but now I am a changed woman. If there isn't a change in someone before and after trusting in Christ, I'd question if they really know Him.
So what do I do when my son asks me if Santa Claus is real? Lie? Well, this is a much larger discussion with no perfect answer, but personally, I simply turn the question back around to him. "Do you think he's real?" We try not to make a big deal of Santa in our home; I think it important that my children not idolize Mr. Claus and all his "free gifts," when the real gift is laying in a dirty animal trough hoping to shine light in a dark world. I would hate for them to ask if I lied about Jesus one day too. On the other hand, I think there's a natural wonder that children should embody. The innocence of little ones imparts a trust that all things are possible. When we take away that wonder and innocence too quickly, they may not be able to see that "with God all things are possible." I hope they always "Believe" in God's miracles, not just Santa's, and I pray they don't listen to all the lies of the world this Christmas, but real truth.

I think these gingerbread houses merely appeal to their tastebuds not their design skills.

But dino designs are much more their forte!




And Roman is mastering playdough designs!

Rainy, cold days are bringing out new skills for all. Silas is mastering the bad-guy trap! 
I can't wait to watch Home Alone with him this year! (His sign says "Try to Hit the Farmer")

And Levi started pedaling at school! (Who cares if it's pink!)

And Silas was a Wise Man at his school play. A great week of learning!
~Lying Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew