Skip to main content

Expedited shipping

Haul out the holly
Put up the tree before my spirit falls again
Fill up the stocking
I may be rushing things but deck the halls again now

For we need a little Christmas right this very minute
Candles in the window, carols at the spinet
Yes we need a little Christmas right this very minute
Hasn't snowed a single flurry, but Santa dear we're in a hurry


(excerpt from "We Need a Little Christmas" by Johnny Mathis)


I never noticed until today that some of my favorite Christmas tunes propagandize my natural instincts to accelerate. Even though I have recently promoted the essentiality of being still and silent this time of year, I find myself always "hurrying" my kiddos to the next thing or feverishly anticipating what could occur next. It's not until our "quiet time," "nap time," or "bed time," that I breathe slower and more peacefully. Maybe that's why much of Europe shuts down mid-day in order to savor, rest and reset. The American culture has always been such that we are willing to pay extra for expedited processes including Christmas shipping! While this may assist in our super powers, I think it hinders our overall health and satisfaction. I wonder if those extra pennies will actually cost us our long term goals.  
It would not surprise me if my little Levi ends up in a European country where I found, first-hand, the pace of life more gratifying. I am certainly wired in such a way that productivity energizes me, but being a mother of four little ones has helped reshape my definition of productive. When he was more fragile and more involved, Levi drastically brought my life to a much-needed halt. However, now that he's making great strides in caring for himself, his newest therapy "goals" involve increased speed with daily tasks. I already find myself requesting my boys momentum to increase regularly and their noise level to decrease.  Neither of these is very practical at their respective ages, but now certified therapists are echoing my fervor, which only hurts the cause. People who care for the elderly or disabled know that they must succumb to the slow lanes of life. Since Levi isn't considered elderly or disabled (simply delayed physically or medical special needs) we are forcing him to fight against his nature and our betterment.
Life already "flies by" like a fleeting vapor, so why the rush to expedite it? Is it really worth the cost? The times I simply can't get to the next need, task or problem, and when I let the uncomfortable moment marinate, it usually resolves itself better than if I try to rush through it with my own remedy.  I've never met a more patient child than Levi Jo. He continues to change my outlook on life. Let's always pay for that standard ground shipping Levi! 


After watching daddy trim the tree I found little Levi trying his own hand at the task!

Silas was excited to start decorating, lights were just taking too long. 

But Levi was happy to help, and look who's rolling now!? Luca couldn't wait to get a look at our new tree.

He's moving up in the world!

We have so many helpers. Sometimes this hurts us when they all want to do the same thing; other times their distinctly different personalities make this wonderfully perfect.

Roman's turn to put on the star!

The final product!

Another favorite Christmas tradition: cookies!



Love our little church's decorations. It's like they made them for us! ;)

I mean... look at that face. Rolling, activity gym and high chair in one week!? Stop it!


Luca is doing much better, but we will still have to wait for our MRI next month to know a more definite prognosis. I'm just thankful his easy breathing makes us all breathe a little easier, but I still recall being at the ER last Christmas day with Levi, so at least I'll be prepared if anyone ends up there again this year. ;) 
It sure makes us appreciate healthy non-expedited living. 

~Expedited Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew