Skip to main content

A Dark Night


In true nature, after a spiritual mountain top, there tends to come a steep valley. This polar opposite occurs primarily because of the battle that exists for good and evil in the world. As my boys naturally imagine fighting forces of evil through play, we also must choose who we will side with at any given moment. External factors like the common cold (which just so happens to be passing through each of my children this week), lack of sleep, or mere relational strains add to the ugly battle, but it's our tendency towards lostness that fuels the fight.
Halloween is akin to Christmas in our home because it simultaneously involves birthday cake and gobs of candy. Thus, my celebratory Silas has been counting down the days and rising early in excitement. This inevitably leads to fussiness for all. But there was a sweet stillness one early morning a few days ago where instead of waking in vengeance, I happily joined him for some one-on-one quiet time where we had a providential pondering together.
The story of the "Lost Sheep" was requested and immediately taken back with the usual "confident commentary." It's not really about being lost, my eldest son explained. It's talking about being bad. That's when I began a lesson that I needed to learn myself.
Rarely has my first born ever thought he was intentionally doing "wrong" because what he wants never seems "wrong" to him, but like most of us, we rarely "steal, lie, or kill" in the general sense of the words. Thus, we do not perceive ours desires as dark. Instead, we are just chasing after the things we think will bring light to our life. As I further illustrated, lostness has more to do with running away from what God wants us to do, not necessarily running towards something "bad." Neither paths are dimly lit, but one will bring a lasting light that doesn't have to be relit over time.
Halloween is best celebrated when the sun goes down, and the tricking and treating occur under the spooky moonlight. Sadly, the dark holiday revealed my own darkness of heart. Darkness pertaining not to badness or evil, but just a self-centeredness I wish weren't present. When things don't go according to our plans, when we aren't perceived in the light we'd hoped, or when we just want to have everyone act accordingly, we begin to fall prey to our own dark attitudes.
This was the divine recognition of my own lesson learned. I cannot eradicate my own darkness, but when I admit my own tendency towards lostness, I can choose to be found in Light.
Living out faith in light of our darkness shows the world that we are all equal in God's perfect sight.

Trying to have some equal carving stations...

But this one just wanted a seed counting contest, 

and this one just wanted to play with the guts,

and this little man just wanted to play with the spoon and dance around the seeds and guts!

But everyone picked out their own face for daddy to carve.



Happy Birthday and Halloween Daddy! 35 never looked so good. ;)

Our makeup date involved lego candy and coffee! Love this boy's simplicity.

The Ro-man is in a consistent squat; he literally wants to be ready to jump and run at a moment's notice.  Sitting is not his forte 

Even with a cold this sweet babe is still smiling. 

Fall Festival day at school! Levi didn't like the truck ride, but he fed a llama! Go figure!
Levi's hand appointment went well! The doctor took X-rays and every bone is developing normally, but we won't be able to see joint development without an MRI. Unfortunately, he said strength is the hardest obstacle to overcome, but he said as long as he's using the hand, he doesn't care if he adapts in his own way for usage. Time will tell, but I'm thankful he's a boy and wants to throw balls and get strong like his daddy. :)
We've sized Levi's foot for the new boot, but have return to pick it up for nighttime use. Praying he remembers what it was like to sleep in metal and plastic!
Luca and Levi will get follow up at ENT tomorrow, and then a vascular abnormality clinic next week. Hopefully we will have a little break from the docs after that for the holidays!

Here's to shining some light in those dark moments!

~Dark Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew