Skip to main content

ICU

Many people have stories full of hospital visits, either patient, visitor, or both. I consider myself a fortunate novice when it pertains to the medical life, but with all for of my kids having started their lives in intensive care units, I see the insights stacking up. 
Life is so much like an ICU. 
Moments of quiet solitude. Sweet sounds of breathing with the rhythmic beats of machines as white noise. 
Then beeps and bumps when meds end. Interruptions from nurses, techs and docs. Simple annoyances of daily life that we don’t plan for but should expect. 
And then massive unexpected chaos.  Things we could have never seen coming. Turns for the worse. We assume those turns are the major priority. Our individual or family problem should be the focus for the whole hospital -that all should run to our bedside when one of our own has loud cries or louder alarms. We want help immediately; we want answers now. 
When all the while their is imminent danger next door. Someone is knocking on death’s door just two units away. Someone else is trying to relay info to get home to their sick spouse and end their long day shift. We only see where we are. We miss what’s around and why we are there to begin with. We must implore ourselves to get outside what we know and remember others first. It's the only way to escape anxious frustration. The solitude will begin again. The natural rhythmic hums will return. But when our chaos is too hard to endure alone, and it’s all we can do to remember to take our next breath, we wait. Wait for things to return to normal. 

One thing we all feel together as one pod in those intensive care units - the essence of waiting
Waiting to hear from the doctor, waiting for test results, waiting for the meds to work, waiting for some good news, waiting to go home. Waiting
But as Elizabeth Elliot beautifully states, "Many times in my life God has asked me to wait when I wanted to move forward. He has kept me in the dark when I asked for light. To my pleas for guidance His answer has often been Sit still, My daughter. [But]  I like to see progress. ... He is very patient with us when we are trying to be patient with Him." 


Little Luca wasn't able to fight off his first cold.
So I wait in the pediatric ICU for him to heal
And when I'm sick of waiting God shows me others whose illnesses I can't fathom
And this man waits for me when I need a break
Waiting is never wasted time
Waiting to grow up...
Waiting to play...
waiting for Luca...
waiting to go home
ready to reunite...
the wait is always worth it
~ICU Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew