Skip to main content

Handling it.

I'm really not certain why so many people comment on the number of children we have. It's literally a  comedy or errors, like I have a sign on my forehead that requests commentary. Please say that I have my hands full as many times as you see me today and you'll win a prize. 
There are plenty of people with multiple young children! There are even more people that have more children than me! When I asked some fellow moms their thoughts, it was suggested that these people want to compliment me or inquire about my thoughts on parenting in some way. Then why do so many women exclaim, "We are only given what we can handle, and I couldn't handle that many kids," or "I already have two crazy ones, I couldn't have a third and risk it being as crazy." An elderly woman saw me at the grocery store the other day and said, "Wow, are those all yours?" After acknowledging my children, she said, "well, it will be nice for you when they are all older." I simply responded, "it's nice now," which seemed to baffle her.
Let me jump on a quick box here...
I disagree that God gives you only what you can handle. I disagree that we should try to handle life on our own. I disagree that I am any more capable of handling four crazy boys than anyone else. We shouldn't boast and say we can do "this or that" because God's the one who can handle it all and decides about "this or that", and it's up to us to give Him the load. If God wants me to have more children, so be it (although I think they'd have to be adopted ones at this point), but don't decide your stance on children because the ones you have are hard. (There are much better reasons because all children are hard at some point.) Trust that God won't give you more than you can handle without HIS grace and strength.
This is not commentary on birth control or that everyone should have four kids. Rather, I want to squelch the notion that I am somehow able to handle things that others cannot, or that my children are simply more well-behaved, or that we only get what we can handle. Read some memoirs of people who have been dealt loads of hardship that seem humanly impossible to deal with while still finding peace.
In other words, the cards you are dealt shouldn't be seen as a curse or a blessing, but pure opportunity. You can use the opportunity to see grace from a whole new landscape or you can point fingers, (usually pointed at others for a curse and yourself for a blessing.) Choose the landscape of grace. It's gorgeously designed!

Back to that woman in the grocery store... I think she was referring to all the help I'd get down the road. But sometimes God knows I need a little extra help now, and he can motivate my boys to start fall cleaning without my request!  Where one goes, the rest follow...



They deserved some good pool time after all that cleaning. Goodbye summer! We loved having you this year.
Levi has started to participate in class! He made pizza! Thank goodness we make this at home or he may not have joined.  He's doing much better this week! Thank you for praying for him!

And Roman has yet to use the "potty" but will sit for hours if allowed, at the most inconvenient of times, in order to request an M&M = my foodie

Silas was the first to take home the "class dog, Stella" and she was a big family hit. 
No pets until these boys can take care of them first.


This sweet boy is changing daily! It is such a miracle to watch.


~Handle Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew