Skip to main content

Flex that muscle




My boys love showing me how "big their muscles are;" on command their arms fly up with bent elbows and tight fists. Yet, I can't help but notice there is zero flexing involved. I myself have never been very good at showing off my biceps until I started picking up twenty-pound babies in their thirty-pound car seats. It takes practice, but it's easy to forget how to flex if you stop using a given muscle.

Whenever things start to feel a little too smooth around our house (i.e. everyone is healthy, everyone is sleeping through the night, their is more space between our doctors appointments, and our therapists have only positive feedback), I begin to feel as if my life is too easy. I yearn for a challenge, not because I'm a glutton for punishment, but rather because I don't want to lose my metaphoric muscles. I know that challenges ebb and flow depending on the season of life, but I'm speaking to the really hard unexpected things that rock your world and force you to flex muscles you never knew existed.

I admire those people who search out ways to strengthen and grow themselves before tragedy forces such stretching. When we openly invite opportunities to inconvenience us, press us, or make us uncomfortable, we draw near to the One who helps us in ways that bring on bulky biceps. Whether it's foster care, elderly parent care, or simply neighborly care, when we give of ourselves and get rid of our personal comfortable agenda, we can maintain the right perspective when the daily "normal hard" hits us. Instead of lamenting about my preschooler's attitude or my infant's blow-out diaper all over my pants, I can laugh at the days to come because my tolerance is greater. My previous circumstantial "work outs" have prepared me to tackle life with the correct mindset. The barometer at which I view soreness infiltrates through the ranks as I see the world's pain.
I know that I am easily enticed to sit back and rest with "deserved" pleasure, but I want to buck that system because I've seen how it weakens my immunity. I want to revel in God's design for surrendering and enjoy more of life's pleasures by enjoying more of my own self-discipline. It is only through Christ's example that I can hope to grow in obedience to His will for my life. I just hope that I don't ever forget how to flex.

My growing boys are continuing to help me flex too...

All three? Could it really be?

Look who grew enough hair for a single blond hawk!?

Look who wore his first pair of footy pajamas (in the dead of summer!)



Their is something exhausting about having your children all under two years apart, but their is something equally as sweet!

~Muscle Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew