Skip to main content

Rainy days

There have been a ton of isolated thunderstorms around our city this summer, which I have always loved. I think it reminds me of childhood since I grew up in Florida, and summer storms were a daily occurrence. It is amazing how a darkened sky or rumble in the clouds can set a new tone in the air. Because they come and go so quickly, they are much more enjoyable than the storms life inevitably brings our way.
I have had the distinct pleasure of re-living some of my life's storms. This time two years ago, I finally brought little Levi home from the hospital with all of his adaptions, and I was preparing to mourn the loss of my best friend while simultaneously mourning the loss of one of my babies I never met. Please don't read sarcasm in my voice here. It's been a real pleasure to recall these memories because I've not only been able to use these experiences to help others recently, but I've also understood why I have so much joy in this mundane season.
I ventured back to Northside hospital last week and stopped by my old home on the high risk unit with the intent of encouraging a fellow mommy on bed rest at 22 weeks. As per usual though, I was the one encouraged by visiting this family who is forced into living each moment with gratitude and trust, wanting their baby to stay put and grow as much as possible before entering the world. There was a strange spiritual circle formed while I shared my story in her hospital room. Instead of the Lion King's circle of life version, it was this beautiful circle of hope lived out of 2 Corinthians 1:3-5,
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ."

Moreover, I met another sweet, strong woman who is currently writing a biography of sorts for Kyra's daughters. I was filled with sad joy as I shared all my memories of Kyra, but I was also especially grateful for the task of holding on to every precious moment so that each one is never lost. That's when I found my own literal lost box of keepsakes. Going through my own history made me realize that some things we hold onto for real nostalgic purposes, others for our loved ones to remember us, and still others we just hold for a rainy day...
like mommy's old middle school dance medals...

Mommy's medals or two British Open champions?
 In light of joy-filled rainy days, here is some of our favorite in door activities. Can you guess what they are?

Paper towel rolls or Car race tubes?

Pillowcases or sleeping bag hideaways?

Public transit or train thrill ride?

Borax on pipe cleaners or magic rock crystals?

Underwear hats or scary pirates?
Pulled weeds ora bouquet for mommy?
We had an unexpected trip to the GI doc this week due to Levi's complaint about his g-tube bothering him. It turns out that he's just getting a little bit taller and thinner causing it to stick out a bit more than usual. The doctor was really not happy about the lack of weight gained. Levi is fine, but I was given a lovely reminder that his feeding tube is a safety net that we are far from losing. Insert your sad face here, but then recall what was happening two years ago, and insert your dancing face here...

At least I'm tall enough to push my own cart now!

And I'm getting my three top teeth already for my 8 month bday!

Finding this gift from Kyra with all my other reminders this week, couldn't have been more perfect. She never got to meet our Ro, but I'm glad she bought him a shirt with his Italian name on it!


Please continue to pray for Levi's weight gain this summer, but more than that, pray that we remember his weight isn't all that important. The important things are moments like this:

~Rainy Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew