Skip to main content

Grace for gluttony

Gluttony comes to mind when imagining how many other populations in the world view the American lifestyle, especially around the holidays. The over indulgence of food, excess of waste, and piles of material gifts can seem a bit ridiculous when juxtaposed with those "less fortunate" whom we strive to "help" around the holiday season.
However, the trend to purge, cutback, fast, and give up after January 1 tells of our subconscious recognition of the problem. I hear statistics of stress, anxiety, and depression during and after the holidays, and I can only imagine that we as a culture have strayed unintentionally from purpose and truth.
Why do we want to engage in constant gift-giving, treat-eating, and slander-speaking around a time meant for peace, joy, and love? Well, because if we are honest, none of those previous gerunds (grammatical term- a form derived from a verb but functions as a noun, ending in -ing) are meant to insight gluttony. We desire to spread love by gifting, baking, celebrating, and catching up with loved ones. This is a beautiful thing! Christmas really is one of "the most wonderful times of the year" (despite what you may have assumed based on everything preciously stated here. Why, then, when it arrives do we lose sight of our initial intentions? Because, we all want to be the ones who give the best present, see children light up, and create magical memories by reminiscing on past ones. We hold flawed expectations. We can't desire simplicity, peace, and joy if we also secretly desire a "Griswold Family Christmas."
The problem of trying to shield my children from excess and instill a counter-cultural Christmas is a "rich man's problem." A rich man's problem is a bit ridiculous when compared to those of the rest of the world. I should be so grateful to be loved and have my children loved so much. GRACE.  Grace is the missing antidote to a disappointing or frustrating holiday. Grace for others. Grace for ourselves. And a true silence to see the Grace of God in Christ Jesus coming to Earth for our flawed nature. In those quiet moments, we can whisper truth and pray for hearts to live out peace, joy, and love the whole rest of the New Year. Let go of expectations and live simply each moment.











A rare family photo with 3 states and three generations represented. Levi apparently saw a better picture behind us! :)
Thank you Jesus for helping us celebrate your birth this year!

~Glutton Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...