Skip to main content

Classic Lessons

My daily hours are consumed with repetitious tasks, such as wiping the bottoms of three small boys, wiping sticky fingers and sticky floors, and wiping a nose, a scraped toe, or the a occasional tear from an angry eye. Despite the fact that these seem mentally monotonous, by the grace of God, my love of learning hasn't been stifled. My children continue to teach me so much more than a book ever could.

If you've ever seen Home Alone (my favorite Christmas classic), you have seen a snapshot of my soon-to-be four year-old. The scene with the neighborhood kid who bombards the airport van driver with unrelated and irrelevant questions, and later causes the entire confusion of the large-family headcount by sitting in the family's rented vehicle is literally the comical doppelganger of my sweet Silas. The constant stream of questioning can be hysterical if I sit back and listen, but too often I lose my sense of humor and lash out with impatient frustration. Silas certainly helps reveal my lack of patience, as well as my need to slow down in life.

I could write an entire book on the lessons that Levi continues to teach me. I am always humbled by his ability to figure things out in his own way and his own timing. In an era with abundant resources documented benchmarks, red flags, and preemptive preparedness, Levi serves as the poster-child for loosening our tied shoes, letting go of comparisons, and throwing out manuals. Not only is he laid-back in personality, but also in developmental timelines. Couldn't we all stand to gain a little more "Levi-life" in our personal milestones?

Finally, even my tiniest son has lessons to bestow on my life. While Levi could not ever be swaddled due to his leg casts, I remember the swaddle struggles we had with Silas years ago. Roman likewise, reminds me of our own love-hate relationship with boundaries. We want God to hold us tightly in His loving arms, keeping us safe, secure, and warm. Yet we also want to break away in rebellion, fighting His authoritative grip. Once we begin to flail about independently, we scratch, hurt, and scare ourselves to tears. If we'd wait on his perfect-timing to show us a new way to rest, we'd save ourselves a lot of sleepless nights. We have to realize we can't have it both ways-- we can't want His loving guidance leading us if we want to be the leader too. He is the Father, after all, and much more experienced at the job.

This season of learning can't be rushed or rescheduled. It shows sign of exhaustion at times, but it is essential for eternity.

Some sweet moments from our start to the Christmas season, which I won't always have when I'm not wiping something in future years...


The candy cane helped with the tears, but Levi still wasn't so sure about this guy.



We love the one-stop shop and family-friendly Hunters Farm!

Back in my tractor-driving days... I love to give driving advice! :)
Check out that right hand grip!

Free hot chocolate makes any weather worth it!

First viewing of Polar Express proved fun at the time, but like most movies, Silas is not a fan of any sad/angry/scary/unfortunate turn of events, (even if the outcome is happily ever after), so he was sure to tell me what he did NOT like about this movie.  Bah Humbug Silas!

So thankful for our beautiful tree that reminds me of the light and life this season!

No wonder this boy has a sweet tooth with all our cookie decorating!

This boy doesn't have all his teeth, but he sure gives me a sweet tooth!

One of my favorite spots this season.
~Learning Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster