Skip to main content

No pain no gain?

There is some truth to the saying: "No pain, no gain." However, now that I have no choice but to schedule my c-section for baby boy three, taking much of the expected labor pains away, does that mean I'm gaining less in my delivery experience? Of course not. There is plenty of pain during the preliminary nine months, as well as the c-section recovery as I learned with baby boy two. Pain also doesn't always have to be physical. Baby boy number one has recently decided on a new way of expressing his frustration at my discipline and superior authority as he hopes to inflict emotional pain on me. When he has no choice but to submit of suffer, he likes to say, "I do not love you mommy" and now he's adding, "And I do not care about you mommy! Does that make you sad!"
The first time it came out of his mouth, I immediately felt a little sad at the quick switch to adolescence, but I quickly recognized and told him that I'd rather he hate me and deal with my punishment than hate God in the future when the punishment is much worse.
Too often, we mothers can't help but swoop in to be hero guardians for our children. We want to be loved, appreciated, and the ultimate protectors of our offspring, yet sometimes the best thing we can do is let our children suffer. Sometimes we must stand by and do nothing.  Sometimes we must feel the pain of their anger and frustration. And sometimes we must be the ones inflicting a little pain in order to gain the fruits of God-fearing adults.

I cannot believe we will meet our third son in two weeks! It's an amazing blessing to have been able to carry this little one full term! What an answer to many many prayers.

Big brother Si had a nasty cold the last week, and again, God somehow covered little Levi so that we haven't had any additional vomiting to clean up this week! I was recently reminded by our favorite NICU nurse what a gift it is that Levi can build up his immune system through common viruses without having any lung issues, pneumonia, or ER visits. Wow. I was so focused on his eating and subsequent weight-gain, that I'd forgotten how common breathing issues are the first couple of years for little ones who were on oxygen for so long. What a beautiful perspective reminder! Thank you God for Levi's strong lungs!

That said, Levi's weight has plateaued again, so his nutritionist wants to try and change out his tubal formula feeds with heavier, more caloric, Pediasure. We haven't tried it since he was little, so hopefully this time it will be easier. So far, we've traded one of the seven syringes with Pediasure, and he can handle it fine! We'll keep moving forward, praying that Levi continues to eat better, get stronger, and tell the world about the miracle God has already done in his life!

Love these new double swings!

We had a great trip to the lake and getaway time for mommy and daddy before baby three arrives!

Even though it was cold, we had a great time. Thanks Dee Dee and T-Pop

Levi figured out how to get up stairs the other day!

I hope you boys love your next brother as much as you do each other!
~Gaining Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew