Skip to main content

Delete

Have you ever worked your heart out to get caught up on something? I mean really dug in your heels, focused, drank an extra shot of espresso, and gave up sleep to stay on top of a job? Then just as soon as you feel a little relief and celebratory dance moves begin, you accidentally delete all your work with  absolutely no hope of recovery. This happened to me when I first began teaching high school, and I thought I'd get way ahead during summer pre-planning. Almost as soon as I pat myself on the back for being so diligent during my months off, my work was gone. Even after several calls and web searches regarding recovery, I was sadly informed by the brightest minds that everything I'd toiled to accomplish had been in vain.
Last week, I felt an equivalent sense of frustrating failure. Instead of documents and lesson plans, I watched my baby boy struggle once again with losing weight due to constant diarrhea and vomiting for seemingly no reason except maybe some budding teeth and a chronic sensitive gag. To top it off, we had just finally reached the 18 pound line at his GI appointment, and I was told he was "barely hanging on to the growth chart." While I'm glad Levi's irritated stomach occurred hours after the appointment, I was still equally crushed.  I began to hormonally spiral into a pit of despair vowing that working hard to help my sickly son eat felt futile and worthless. I felt any weight gain would just be a tease, so I stressed myself through the rest of the hard week.
 
As with his entire life, Levi's journey is ever-changing day by day. Since Sunday, Levi has been back to his chipper, hungry self again, and I humbly read words from God with newfound respect.

"It is vain for you to rise up early, To retire late, To eat the bread of painful labors; For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep." Psalm 127:2 It is God who never ceases to work and teach me, even while I rest, He grows me in humility and trust. 

"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1 Cor. 15:58   When I strive to accomplish something on my own strength, it is in vain. Only when I work solely for God's glory do I toil in peace. 






  We don't know what tomorrow will bring that is certain, so when no one is sick, and no one has therapy, it calls for a special day of making TY (thank you) pumpkin pie for neighbors and splurging on a solo trip to the Children's Museum. Especially since life will be changing in a little over three weeks! May I not forget when baby boy three comes home in less than a month and the exhaustion and hormones ensue, that God's mercies are new each morning. My greatest prayer is that when there are harder weeks in the near future that I would rest easy and toil only in God's perfect peace, remembering as quickly as those exhausting days arrive, they will equally vanish by beautiful memories.









~ Deleted Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew