Skip to main content

Not my own

I've mentioned many times what a blessing it's been to experience those things I once feared because then they no longer instill fear. I have also stated multiple times what a blessing it's been to grow in faith through various trials we've experienced the past few years. However, just when you think you have conquered one mountain, there's always a new one around the corner. It's one thing to boast in Christ, but another to take that strength and believe it's all your own. I'm seeing the difficulty in relishing in the Spirit's strength when there are decisions to be made that affect another person.
When it comes to the unknown and things are typically out of our hands, it almost becomes easier to embrace faith and trust when there's nothing you can do. When Paul was given a "thorn" in his flesh, he had to succumb to Christ's strength during his own weakness. Paul had to embrace the fact that grace was sufficient.
I'm currently struggling with a thorn that hasn't just been in my own flesh for the last year, but in my flesh and blood, Levi. Instead of just trusting that Levi will stop throwing up every time he eats, I actually have to make decisions that affect that outcome. I have responsibilities and insights questioned by doctors to get him to a better eating scenario sooner, rather than later. While faith and trust play a big part of everything we do, it still pains me to see my son constantly vomit multiple times a day. Forget about the logistical, practicality of daily regurgitation, it also just becomes frustratingly exhausting. We've tried so many different things, but it doesn't feel like we are any closer to helping him keep down all his food.
Not only is Levi very volume sensitive, but he still has issues with excess mucus production (sorry if you're snacking right now). While removing his adenoids has come up in different conversations, we don't know if this would solve the problem, nor is our ENT comfortable performing that operation on such a tiny little guy. So we wait (while continuing to try little things that I confess I doubt will change things).... and that's when faith and trust come into play again. If I'm going to boast in Christ that I've learned to have faith, I must remember all He's done for me. When Levi was born, we didn't know whether he would live or die, whether he'd have brain damage, or multiple disabilities, and we had daily decisions to make. In the same way that God saw us through that time, I know he'll see us through this season.
Psalm 105:5 says, "Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles..." when we forget the miracles He's performed time and again, our thorn seems to grow in size, but when we focus on God's strength instead of our own, that thorn ceases to exist in our minds.

Thank you for continuing to pray for our little Levi, and for our continued faith and trust in his strength and growth!
He passed his hearing test on Tuesday! What a blessing that we must not take for granted!
When he's not about to throw up, throwing up, or covered in throw up, he's the sweetest and happiest little boy! For that, I will always give thanks!


Check out those teeth!

He loves the swing we put on the new playground!

He can even finish eating while swinging. Can't do that at the park!

Our cilantro is out of control. Not sure what to do with it all.
I was worried how Silas would do finally back at Sunday school now that cold and flu season is over. We picked him up with a sticker that said "I shared today," I couldn't have been more proud!
Love watching these boys grow together.

Thank you for loving us!

~Coffee CubBuster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew