Skip to main content

Copycat

Be your own person. Have an original idea. Don't be a follower. Find a new angle. Be set apart. In many households, as well as classrooms, one is encouraged to be a leader and not look like everyone else. Although, there is a fine line between not copying others and standing out too much, in which case you appear to desire unnecessary attention for yourself. It all depends on the context.
In writing, originality is of utmost importance; I stressed the importance of understanding plagiarism in order for my students to avoid it like the plague. In fashion, many people seek to wear what the media deems "in style," ultimately copying everyone else, unless you are truly unaware or avoiding garment trends altogether. At the end of the day, I believe the verse that claims, "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9). 

Really, mimicking is one of the first forms of learning. For that reason, Silas is one of the best (and worst) teachers for Levi. As Levi watches his big brother eat food orally, I can almost see him move his mouth in copycat fashion. Likewise, toddlers begin to speak, act, and respond in similar style to that of their parents. Friend choices feel overwhelming critical to parents of pre-teens and teenagers because their child's individuality is being shaped by what their new friends are doing.

All of this has baffled me as I continue to have a desire to "be set apart" and "look different" from the world. However, we do not know what we do not know. Let me explain this rationale. Even though I feel like I've grown and changed this past year, others are growing and changing in their own way based on their own life circumstances. I may desire to be "different," but I'm going to be similar to someone, and someone else is going to desire to be "different" from me. Who is to say which "different" is the right "different." It's a tongue twister, but really it's just a rabbit trail identifying that making choices for yourself and your family may look different from others, but that doesn't mean you are making a judgement against their choices. We all just have to make those choices personally and respect the differences.

I think that at the end of the day we have to think about those people (for me I can name only a few) whom you walk away from wanting to be a better person. Those people that have a light and a joy about them that is different from anything else you have ever seen. They seem understand how to love the world and how to leave a lasting a palatable imprint on your heart that you want to understand deeper. Those are the unique individuals that we should seek to mimic because they are the fragrance of God.

Instead of excluding, judging, or hating the copycats or crazy unique characters in the world, we need to keep looking within to find out who we are trying to mimic because it's a guarantee that someone else will be copying us along the way.

My sweet boy trying to copy my reading in the early morning hours.

Our sweet BFF Birdie always trying to copy her older buddy Silas (sorry Dana!) :)

Mommy copied the internet for this fun science project!

Little Levi always looking to copy his crazy older sibling!
~Copying Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew