Skip to main content

To ski or not to ski

Why do people ski? It's very expensive, the preparation, clothing, and equipment are kind of ridiculous, there is a good chance you could get seriously injured, and it's physically exhausting. I've only been skiing three times in my life, but I LOVED it each time, and I hope I get the chance to go again one day.
Well I think skiing is very similar to parenting little ones... with one major difference of course. When you look at our lack of sleep from our babies, who can drive us mad at tired moments, with the illnesses that make life that much more difficult, alongside Silas' new deceit and intelligence (he'll throw out a potty request or "what is that over there mommy" when we are trying to reprimand him). Couple this with physical exhaustion, diminishing finances, additional yucky chores, and Levi's physical disabilities, and you'd probably think we were done having children. You'd be absolutely wrong.
The major difference between skiing and kids (besides the obvious unconditional love, joy and laughter they bring) is that you can always go skiing again (pending no permanent broken bones). I thought about it the other day as I plopped my weary self on the sofa after both boys were asleep. These days may be hard at times, but they are fleeting. We all know time flies, but Christmas like birthdays and other future vacations come every year. Children are only children one time. Once you are done having kids, or once your babies grow up and stop adoring you with every bone in their bodies, you will never get to relive those moments. You can't "renew your young ones" like you can your wedding vows. It's just not possible to go back and raise babies once they (and you) are fully grown. Grandchildren are just a different breed. Your little ones may be little in your eyes forever, but they will leave, spread their wings, and make their own way.
Thus, I will seek to cherish even the most pressing moments with this reminder. As tiring as it can be to have Silas want to read a book at six in the morning or be held when he's under the weather, as demanding as Levi's cry for attention can be at five in the morning, as frustrating as a two-hour long dinner with a toddler can be, or the snail speed of feeding therapy with Levi,  I won't get to do it much longer. I am blessed, and I actually love these long days with a strange sort of love. I hope and pray we get to have more babies one day if God wills it, and I challenge myself to love the sleepless nights all the same.

Homemade doughnuts were so fun to decorate, but the sugar high aftermath was not as enjoyable.

When left alone on the deck, I found Silas to be a sweet home-builder for a little lost ladybug.

One of the many reasons Silas still enjoys his crib instead of a big boy bed!

We continue to realize that Levi is not as delicate as he seems. He loves to be thrown in the air, play with his big brother, and hold his own with toy instruction.

Silas is hands down my kid. He LOVES to teach Levi everything, especially his book knowledge.

Again... my child... He has a new love of "cleaning" with mommy.

I think it's more the squirt bottle he loves than the actual cleaning! He may get his first job at a car wash though.


Levi started some new meds to help contract his stomach muscles quicker (helping to get the food down faster to slow the spit up). Unfortuantely, medicine number one failed, but medicine number two seems promising. Still spitting up a lot, but less than before. If this doesn't help him keep food down, we will start a new feeding schedule, which would be a step backward for therapy, but worth it if he gains weight again!

We are so grateful for all the love this holiday season, and if we haven't reached out to you personally, please know we love and cherish you in our hearts this Christmas!

~Skiing Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster