Skip to main content

Numbers


I have never been good with numbers; I've never claimed to be good with numbers. In fact I will pretty obviously count on my fingers and toes when addition is required of me. However, I think numbers have been a reoccurring theme in my life lately. For instance, how many numbers will it take in dollars to fix our serious plumbing issue or how many numbers will be needed to help my poor car. We quickly realized those numbers were higher than desired.

One of the biggest numbers that will change is the number of people in our family. God-willing, this May our family will increase from three to four!  Yep. Another Smith in the world to brighten every fall season.
Yet, that's not even the biggest number that we've been focused on lately. After losing a baby in August, we were shocked to find out that we were pregnant so quickly. Actually if you count the weeks in the months, the numbers didn't add up. It was physically impossible for me to be as pregnant as the doctor said I was in October. Good thing I believe that the things that are impossible with man are always possible with God.



That's when we started counting the weeks. Not just so that my morning sickness would subside, but more to get in the "safer" zone for baby number 2 as I will always be at higher risk during the first trimester. At week number eight after just finding out, we thought we lost our little miracle. Then again at week 11. This time we were certain another baby was in Heaven. We've since learned not to count on our own understanding. God has consistently proven time and time again that he doesn't count numbers, logic, or reason. He counts in truth and perfection. His plan for my life and the life of our family is perfect.

Psalm 139:15-16 is that perfect reminder: My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

As I try not to count what's left of fall, I remember that each day is a precious gift. While that may be quite cliche, it's the trials and shocks of life that really bring home the reality of the cliche. I'm thankful things aren't always easy because I have a better understanding of who God is and how much He loves me.

When counting, I hope to try this approach instead of my fingers: Teach me, Lord, to number my days right, so that I may gain a heart of wisdom.  -- Psalm 90:12

Take some time today to smell fall. I promise you can count on great results. (p.s. Silas is not disgusted, that' just his "smelling" face")  :D

~NumbersBuster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew