Skip to main content

Knowledge



I've recently been convicted of something that I feel compelled to share because I hope I'm not the only one who is still learning lessons in my life. If my convictions can benefit you, then they are entirely worth it. For those of you who don't understand or like the use of the word "conviction," let me define it for you. There are some who will follow the definition that involves guilt, yet I know others who would still argue that guilt is a negative emotion they'd rather stay far away from even in mere conversation. While an entire debate about whether guilt is negative or positive could ensue, let me pose a different view of the word.  Conviction involves "proving or declaring one as guilty of an offense." For me, this is a perfect word to use for this conversation. 

I confess, I am guilty of seeking to know ALL. Knowledge.... yes this is my crime. Again, I can hear objections to this plea. Hear me out. There is nothing wrong with knowledge in and of itself. However, if you have any knowledge of Adam and Eve's story (whether you believe it to be myth or truth), you know that they were told to stay away from the "tree of knowledge of good and evil." Then the serpent, Satan, twisted God's words and enabled Adam and Eve to question why: "God just doesn't want you to know all that he knows." I'm sure you know the rest of the story. 

You know what? I think every one of us has been struggling with this same issue since the beginning of creation. We think if we can just know what God knows, then we'll be better off. We want to know how to control every aspect of our lives. Fill in the blank with whatever season of life you are in right now. School? Friends? Job? Spouse? Kids? Retirement? Doesn't matter. We all want to know when, how, and why so that we can control the outcome and not have any surprises. Science, technology, and "studies" have certainly aided our society in this endeavor too.

I certainly want to be able to prepare myself for any and every situation, so if I can know enough, then I won't be caught off guard, thus protecting myself from any pain. Isn't that what's it's all about. We just want happiness and peace as abundantly as we can have it. But it's the knowing that's causing the pain. There's something to be said for the expression, "ignorance is bliss." I'm not advocating naivete or stupidity, but I am suggesting we seek to have more faith in many situations we are trying to know all or control all. 

If we had all the knowledge that God has, we wouldn't need faith. And a world without faith is simply not a world. "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1). I certainly what to have faith in peace, faith in joy,  faith in love. This is faith in God. What happened to true faith? Lately, God has proven over and over that He is real, and that I cannot know or understand everything. I thought I knew the outcome of something, and to my joyful surprise, I was wrong. It never felt so good to be wrong. Thank you God that I cannot be you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew