Skip to main content

Bah Humbug!

I was looking over my students' Christmas break reading: A Christmas Carol (so fitting), and before you say how mean I am to give them homework over the break, they are out an extra week of school: three weeks for my home-school kiddos.
Since I know Scrooge's story pretty well, I didn't think I needed to read word for word, but I came across these lines that hit me in a new way this year. When asked how much he would like to give to the poor, Scrooge responds,

 'Nothing' he replied. 
 'You wish to be anonymous?'
'I wish to be left alone,' said Scrooge. 'Since you ask me what I wish gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas, and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support [the prisons and union workhouses] I have mentioned: they cost enough, and those who are badly off go there.'
'Many can't go there; and many world rather die.' 
'If they would rather die,' said Scrooge, 'they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.'

What really hit me was what the gentleman said prior to this dialogue:

'a few of us are endeavoring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices.'

 Isn't that the truth? This time of year we all get so focused on our wish lists, and we decorate our homes with lights, surround our trees with gifts, and fill our bellies with yummy food. Abundance really rejoices, but those who don't have are keenly aware of what they are missing.

Instead of clenching our fists tight for ourselves, or in my case, wishing I had something to fill our stockings let alone a place to hang them, we should be reaching out to everyone around us. Those living in plenty and in want all need to hear the love of Christ. He came into the world to love us, and he died to save us. Spread that Christmas cheer with a love that knows no bounds.

God bless you.... everyone!

Silas, what do you think of Santa? Santa, what do you think of Silas?
They loved each other!


~Scrooge Busted :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew