Skip to main content

Independence Day

Happy Birthday America! In honor of Independence Day, my boys stretched their own independence....


Levi is finally "fully" potty trained with all the numbers ;) So he got to try his hand at audio books via the iPod during nap time. This is his excited and proud face now that he is more like big brother!

Luca isn't quite walking independently, but he will be there very soon!

Ever since Silas started piano lessons, everyone is very interested in this old instrument.

Big boys stayed up late for the Smith fireworks

Roman didn't mind the pop its and sparklers...


But he ended up hating the real deal!

Levi didn't cry this year! 

And Silas got to light them with daddy!

A quick trip to Lake Keowee to visit family after the 4th is always a blast for the boys

Silas' cousin showing him paddle board independence

Not quite ready for independent driving boys

Sometimes pretend is even more fun though

Silas ventured on this with daddy though, and loved it!

Levi stuck to the pretend stuff

I'm thinking we will invest in a jacket-type life preserver for the pool next year because it helped his right hand move better than the floaties.

He was independently paddling by the end of the day!

And Luca was ready for independence on the boat too

What is the 4th without baseball and patriotic colors?

Everyone is getting better at their positions



Roman is slowly improving leading us to believe he and the other boys simply brought home a pool bug from our last trip. The doctor said it may take months for his little gut to heal from all the antibiotics this past year, so as long as he doesn't worsen, we won't have to reschedule his procedures!

Our independence is not a right, but a privilege as I am trying to teach our boys. When we abuse our privileges, God has a way of taking them away. But even when we appreciate them, we can still lose our independence with age. The process gives us a necessary humility for attaining wisdom. What a blessing that God gives wisdom, as well as free will. May we all have the wisdom to say, "I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave their lives for me!"

God bless the USA!
~Independence Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions

I have had so many people thank me for my honesty on this blog lately. I haven't really thought about my level of truthfulness until those remarks of gratitude were given. I think I naturally wear my heart on my sleeve, and thanks to my upbringing, I often hear the term TMI, which just means I'm obviously not scared to express myself. However, I also believe that when you are going through something difficult, it's much easier to be raw and real in front of others, even complete strangers. Often times, it is these "real" moments that bridge the gap between hearts and allow us to live truth. I must confess, this marathon is really all over the place. It's like I hit mile 7, and I can't believe I'm only at mile 7! This past weekend, I felt covered in prayer, peace, and love. Matthew and I enjoyed a much needed date night, our little Levi enjoyed a quiet and restful weekend, and our big boy had a blast at our neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.  I really ju...

Joy in Pain

There is pain in this world. It comes in different forms. Physical pain, emotional pain, frustrating pain, confused pain, displaced pain, short-lived pain, numbing pain, excruciating pain, sincere pain, unexpected pain. Yet, through it all, there is joy. How? Where? Why is there joy in a world filled with such pain? Is is true joy? Is it fabricated or medicated joy? Is it temporary joy or will it fade with the next whisper of pain? No. I have felt a joy that far outweighs my pain. It's a joy that doesn't make sense mixing with a pain that culminates in reality. It's a joy that couldn't be concocted by even the most elaborate of artists. As I've experienced some of the most intense physical pain during some of the most intense emotional pain, I have noticed and experienced some of the purest forms of joy and peace that cannot be watered down by logic. We lost our second child this week. At just seven weeks old, our precious baby gets to escape a world o...