Skip to main content

Fresh palate

When my best friend moved to Italy permanently, it changed her; more specifically, it changed her palate. Some would argue for the better, while others would say providing her a meal became more perplexing as her palate became more "sophisticated." When we get a taste of something real, we tend to gravitate towards it. Whether it's food or friends, there's an increasing trend towards searching frantically for authenticity. Strolling through a super market or retail shop proves this new phenomenon as our western culture tries to match Western Europe's natural way of living. It's easier now than in the past to purchase products labeled, organic, natural, local, or sustainable. Paradoxically, social media sensations have left people yearning for lost legitimacy. Perfect photos and premeditated poses cause a distance between human nature and connectivity. Yet, when we get used to a taste, it can be a hard habit to break. One palate prefers McDonalds as truthfully as another prefers homegrown vegetables and wholegrain wheat. One person loves posting pictures while another feels exhausted by the readied reel.
I didn't eat much fast food growing up, and for that I'm grateful, but I was exposed to the fun of cultural holidays with equal enthusiasm. Just as there is nothing inherently wrong with express meals, there's nothing inherently wrong with joining culture in kid-minded holiday activities. However, when my hubby suggested we leave the baskets and eggs out of Easter morning I was a little shell shocked. Even though the boys had already enjoyed their own competitive hunts and gathered their share of eggs, something in me was holding on to my morning Big Mac, confused by my own desire to ingest a strange hamburger for breakfast. I'm so grateful, though, that I married someone readily willing to challenge the norm for the sake of scrutinizing our souls.
I can't express the change in attitude that all the boys had this year. The focus was not "who got the most eggs" or "who's basket had the best gifts." They forgot about all that as we incorporated a new tradition of opening our oven "tomb" to see the hollow cookies we made the night before Easter. We celebrated that Jesus is alive! After a day of joyous jubilee involving worship, picnic park lunch, and ice cream, my eldest said it was the best Easter Day he has ever had. ;) I was the only childish one on Easter wondering if my boys were "missing out" if they saw others hunting eggs and opening gifts. The humility and gratitude for the cross came more strongly as I repented of my love of breakfast Big Macs and embraced a sweeter taste on my palate that resurrection Sunday. I don't see how I could ever go back to fast food now that I've tasted homemade cookies, but we all must be careful whether we enjoy McDonalds or not, do not judge those who do differently. "Therefore, do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration, or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found I Christ" (Colossians 2:16-17).
Find reality, find authenticity, find your fresh palate.


Someone else captured this sweet moment when my phone was left at home Easter morning!

Music to my ears when my hubby took a stab at opening up and fixing our old piano!


Perfect picnic weather!

Impromptu Easter park dog show!

Could be a new tradition like the Thanksgiving parade! The boys loved it!

Not as much as they love blue ice cream!




Look who is a proud standing man!

Almost as proud as this mama is of her hard-working hubby! Love you baby!

~Easter Palate Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew