Skip to main content

Self improvement







Have you ever tried to start a new exercise regimen in order to get healthier? Or maybe get out of bed an hour or two early to be more productive or disciplined. The first two or three times is pretty rough. Yet a good friend wouldn't discourage healthy habits. Instead he/she would encourage you to stick with it, because you actually feel better after you get adjusted to the lifestyle change. Then when you eat better, sleep better, and spend your time better, you feel better as a whole, and most of the time you'll enjoy working out or reading in the wee hours when the sun rises.
Unfortunately when it comes to kids, I don't feel like this translates. Too often I see or hear the comments after I sigh from physical, parental exhaustion. Well she did this to herself. She chose to have that many kids that quickly. She shouldn't have anymore if she's already tired.
I think some people don't realize that the more kids you have, the less selfish, less prideful, and more patient of a person you become. It's really hard at first, but just like exercise, you begin to enjoy your new self. I can't think of any other way to truly tackle the natural instinct selfishness than to care for someone else. I am constantly frustrated with the selfishness I see in my kids, hoping and praying that if they get adjusted to less, they'll want less. But then I have to remember that I am equally as selfish. We are all just wired with that sin-nature. When we give up self, we actually get back a better self in return. We will still have moments of frustration and battle to choose self over others, but it gets easier to remember how to put other's first when you do it from the moment you rise to the moment you fall asleep.
I can't think of a more selfless human being than Jesus. He wasn't a physical parent, but He called anyone who wanted to be his adopted children into His family. I can't look to any other person to help me with my problem of pride and selfishness, and hopefully I can point my kids to Him instead of myself. I am so thankful that my boys teach me as much as I try to teach them.
Yes I'm pretty exhausted in these final weeks of pregnancy, but I couldn't be more blessed. The tired is just a good part of letting go of our own strength and relying on His.

Loving some good water, sun, summer, and nap fun! That afternoon nap is precious to me right now! It's also been a blessing to watch Levi improve in so many ways this summer compared to last. Having his shirt off without a tube getting caught on things is a huge gift. His language is improving too. He's starting to make three word sentences! We pray he'll keep strengthening his core and right side so that he won't have as many scrapped knees, elbows, face, but that boy is tough as nails! What a gift.

~Improving Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew