Skip to main content

Predictions and waiting

I remember when I was pregnant with my first baby, and we decided to wait on finding out the gender. It was astonishing how many people were certain they "knew" my unborn child's sex, and the certainty was for both gender camps. Other people were merely astonished that we could wait at all. Most people are not very good at waiting because there is very little that we have to wait for in today's immediate gratification era. I'm certain that soon there will be a market for finding out your child's gender as soon as you find out your pregnant (although based on anatomy, I will doubt its legitimacy.) We have discovered ways to make everything faster and faster. Personally, I am thankful for the microwave as much as the next busy mom, but I've learned that patience is a muscle that when flexed enough, begins to be quite appealing. As I watch my little ones wait for Christmas morning, I have begun to accept the goodness in the wait. Too often the actual event that we are waiting for either doesn't live up to our expectations or merely can't be compared to our expectations.

Ecclesiastes 7:14 says, "When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, no one can discover anything about their future." While I may be "good" at waiting on gender reveals or G-tube extractions, I am not very good at leaving my predictions at the door. However, the last sentence of this verse really cut me to the core. Because I am a planner (yes you can wait on the gender and still plan for a baby), I like to be prepared for what's ahead. I try to predict every sniffle or tummy ache as impending spreadable disease. I try to predict every good night's sleep as a potentially great start to the day. Yet the opposite of my predictions often occurs. The time in between, those times of waiting, making Christmas cookies, building gingerbread houses, wrapping presents, decorating or planning for each new season, tend to be sweet times that don't always receive the consideration they are due.
Last Christmas I was so excited to give Silas his first bike, but Christmas morning brought a nasty ear infection to my little man. Along the same vein, there have been blissful days of joy and laughter in our home that aren't marked by any special calendar date. There's no way to really know anything about our future, despite our best efforts at predictions. We must enjoy the present moment whether good or bad, it will not last forever.
When we wait for a job, a spouse, a season, a child, we get to expectantly enjoy the advent or arrival of something. Yet, like the predicted king arriving in a smelly stable, what we expect is usually nothing like what we imagined.  So enjoy the in between. Enjoy your waiting season.

We will wait and see what Levi's GI doc has to say on Monday, but in the mean time, I am thanking God he continues to eat by mouth, and grow just a little each day.

These boys couldn't wait to find leaf piles!

This boy can never wait patiently anywhere. He's king of his own hill.

While he's showing he's scared of many new things, he also has a sweet independence that I adore.

This growing boy doesn't seem scared of too much.... except for Santa...

The only way to get the two littles near Santa was for mommy and daddy to pose too. 

The boys couldn't wait to decorate the tree.

I always wanted to go crazy with tinsel as a little girl, so I had to let them.

But my grownup side had to clean it up. :) 
~Waiting Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew