Skip to main content

Challenge update



Like most words, the verb form of "challenge" helps explain the noun form a little better.

Merriam Webster defines the transitive verb form :
to demand as due or deserved; to order to halt and prove identity; to dispute especially as being unjust; to question formally; to confront or defy boldly 

Levi's challenges (noun) don't challenge (verb) me quite as perfectly defined as Silas' challenges challenge me. The four-year old "appears" to have more control over his challenges as he purposely challenges my authority with sweet perceived innocence. Yet, Levi's two-year old physical challenges aren't as emotionally frustrating because they are certainly outside of his little control.
HOWEVER, what I have humbly come to realize it that I need to embrace my eldest buddy's challenges and have gratitude for them as I do with my middle baby because they are also outside of his control. Just as I try to help Levi embrace and use his developmental challenges to make the world a better place, I need to do the same with Silas. Both boys are unaware of their current idiosyncrasies, so it is my humble job to point them in the right direction. They will face "challenges" their entire life, this is just the training field, and since their daddy and I are their current coaches, now is the time to show them how to become brave, strong, godly young men.

Please pray for our little man Levi in the coming weeks. He currently has a third ear infection (but praise God this one has no perceivable symptoms), so we are schedule for another ear tube surgery missed with a partial adenoidectomy. Because of his size and history, we have to go to Children's for the surgery. Also, because of the shape and structure of his mouth, the doctor will have to gage how much of his adenoids to take out during surgery so that he doesn't have any speech or breathing issues in the future. Even though this will take a toll on his eating since he'll basically not eat for 24 hours, we know it'll hopefully help his immune system next cold and flu. As always, two step forward.

Also, please pray that Levi can continue to learn to "suck" from a straw. This would help him tremendously with taking down all of his Pediasure by himself throughout the day for weight-gain. He's done it a couple times now, but like everything with Levi, his strength and muscle memory are very weak. I've noticed that it takes Levi a while to do anything in Physical, occupational, or speech therapy until about 20 minutes into the session because that "motor planning" is just weak, and he forgets how to do what they have already taught him to do. Until the proverbial "light bulb" goes off, it takes him a while to remember how to use certain muscles he never used the first year of his life (plus 6 months in utero).

Thank you for continued prayers for all around health for our family as its just been a sick-challenging year!  We are so encouraged at how God is using all our boys, as well as our own, challenges to grow us and transform us into His image!

His favorite way to use his weak hand! :)
Big man's first swim lesson!

Levi finally got to join brother for some bath painting

We have some lovely Picassos in our home right now.

Who needs a tool belt when Daddy's belt is sufficient?

Little man is really loving "walking" on the trike. 
Can't let this sweet boy miss out on a shout out! He's about as big as Levi (they can wear the same size diapers and almost same size clothes, which actually makes life a little less complicated). He is so much pure joy and laughter that my heart is full every time I see him. 
~Challenge Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster