Skip to main content

There's no such thing as a scar

Choices and circumstances can quickly shape our entire outlook on life, so much so that parents worry that every major experience can potentially "scar" their offspring. However, I've reconciled that there is no such thing as an emotional scar. No matter how deep the tissue, I've seen how God can create an alternate experience that counteracts the first removing the "scar" completely. Thus, there's less pressure to control our environment and more laughter at our future.

Before Levi...
I told my husband that I'd do all the dirty diapers if he'd please handle the throw ups because I had a scarring stomach bug experience as a child. Little did I know that Levi's daily regurgitation would help heal that wound.
Before Levi...
I thought I'd never give my kids sugary cereals or other terribly processed foods. Little did I know that Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks would be one of Levi's first independent solids.
Before Levi...
I said I'd never let my kids watch screens for pacification purposes. Little did I know that a screen would be a great way to keep Levi from throwing up and keep Silas from interfering with therapy sessions.
Before Levi...
I assumed that if a child threw up multiple times a day, every single day, they he would certainly develop an emotional scar associated with eating. Little did I know that Levi would be an anomaly who would instantly want to eat whatever food he just gagged out of his mouth.
Before Levi...
I worried that I would somehow scar my children because all parents make mistakes. Little did I know that God can really change all scars into fresh flesh and future stories for their children.

There's nothing we can do and nothing that can happen to us that God can't change. We may bare physical scars for our entire lives on Earth, but that's just on the surface. It's how we heal internally that adds to our stories.

Some amazing steps this week: No Levi is not potty trained, but we have not used his G tube in a week! This is huge! It takes longer to get him to sit still to drink his Pediasure by mouth (hence the toilet locale), but it is definitely worth the work. We still have to learn to suck from a straw (please pray for this because it would help with self feeding), as well as swallow things that aren't completely soft, but he seems to be swallowing new foods every day! It's amazing to watch!




I hope these two always like to share with each other! 
Sweet Saturday reading. 

Even sweeter Sunday dedication for our two little ones. Roman didn't quite stay awake for the final pic.


Praising God for our church and for little Levi finally able to attend one.

I took this picture because it was an amazing moment. I sat there watching Levi, about to turn two, remembering distinctly where we were two years ago. I saw myself back in that NICU rocking chair wondering how his little deformed, fragile body would ever make it to the age of two. What could he possibly look like at two? Here he is... using two hands with two straight feet, trying to use his tools on his train just like a big boy. It was exceptional. There are no words. God is good. God is gracious. I am eternally grateful. Levi may have several scars all over his little body, but I am at peace knowing God will heal any present or future emotional scars.

Please continue to pray for his hand, his eating, and his verbal communication. God bless you!

~Scarless Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew