Skip to main content

Smith Vacation

The word "vacation" means different things to different people. Some require the absence of responsibility, while others equate vacation to self-spoiling; still others determine vacation based on whether water or adventure is on the agenda. The dictionary defines it as "a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday" (dictionary.com). I know many people who would not consider something a vacation if it involved diaper changing, spit up cleaning, and a little hotel laundry doing. I beg to differ. 

Once again, it's all a matter of perspective. I think vacations mean much more if you have something bigger than yourself to thank for the rest and recuperation.  When you simply pat yourself on the back for a job well done, you are merely giving yourself a larger load to carry. You subtly and subconsciously add the burden of being able to provide yourself with a future equal if not superior vacation. You are at the mercy of living to find future security. Instead of feeling utter gratitude at the end of your vacation. You are left yearning for the next one. 

Don't get me wrong, I was yearning to stay with my boys at the beach longer, but I couldn't help but feel unbelievably grateful the entire time. I couldn't believe we were able to take our little Levi away from home. Feeding tube and all, he was able to experience life, and we were all able to breathe a little deeper, thanking God that we were not still living in the NICU as we had been a year ago. It was a celebration of a five year marriage, a boy who has traveled so far in his one year of life, and a family of four who loves spending time together. Instead of congratulating each other on a job well done, we looked to the sky and praised God for always providing us exactly what we need, exactly when we need it. 



Levi LOVED the sand!




 
Silas did too, but he LOVED the "water only" (pool) too!


Levi's daily morning lap. Love his flexibility (in all areas of life).

Hotel down time.
Silas did great at his first putt putt.... probably the fastest game I've ever seen.

He got some practice when we stopped at my friend's house in Charleston on the way the Hilton Head.


Love capturing these sweet moments.
I wish Levi would wear sun glasses it might help with this look.
Just put him in a swing and he'll smile.

If only you'd wear hats too. They look great on you bubba!



Now that we are back to reality. We'll keep you posted on our upcoming appointments for little Levi! Doesn't seem to be growing, but he's loving life, and that is all that matters!

~Vacay Buster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew