Skip to main content

Milk for moms

The milk spilled over the top of his feeding bag as I tiredly tried to refill it before breakfast. Milk spilled shortly after when my older one attempted to fill his own cereal bowl. Milk also spilled hours later as I screamed at the sight of ants surrounding our kitchen table; they must have smelled remnants of the old milk spilled. The day would come to a close with the largest out pour of milk into our garage because the grocery bag attendant didn't know I'd open the trunk so quickly allowing two gallons of milk to smack the floor and crack open simultaneously. Now that we were officially out of milk, I was actually relieved.
Spills happen in life, but they seem to happen a lot more in the lives of moms.  There are many ways to respond to spilled milk as the expression goes, but I don't think mine ever followed with tears. Frustration is my natural instinct as a relative neat freak. But after the last spill that filled our garage with the stench of milk, I had to laugh (especially because I decided to buy the organic brand that time). Isn't this what I signed up for when I became a mom? If you can't handle spills, you shouldn't be a mother. You have to be able to roll with the mess and allow the hiccups to strengthen your character. Your children are always watching, learning how to respond themselves.
My life, my story, is filled with messy details. Events that don't sound pretty or magical. Situations that take a long time to clean up. Aren't those the stories and events that have made me who I am? Aren't the spills the things that have taken away all the things that held me captive before? If you don't let the messes happen on their own, and try to enjoy the clean up process, they just happen again, again, and again, until you stop and laugh a little. When you try to keep your children from spilling anything in a vain attempt to keep yourself from clean-up duty, you are ultimately hurting their chances of building true character while still under your roof.
Milk is really not that hard to clean up; if you wipe bottoms, wipe up spit up, and wipe away tears, imagine the puddles that you'll be able to laugh at one day.
Thank you to all the moms cleaning up daily messes without any anger or resentment. Thank you to all the mommas who have shown me what genuine love looks like. Thank you to my babies and their daddy for making me a better mommy.


Regardless of the spills this week, I have loved my job!

The artist is always at work.

Levi hasn't experienced some of the delights of childhood (like Catch Air), and now that we are taking him out more, its fun to see his reactions!




My favorite part of mothers day- breakfast in bed. Thank you Matthew!

Someone else wanted the royal treatment too!

And someone else too!

Little man had a crazy rat-tail mullet that required a little attention. First trim in the books bubba!

This busy bee had a busy appointment last week with a new ENT. He not only scoped him, took a culture of his mucus, but also x-rayed his entire neck and throat area. Levi has swollen adenoids, tonsils, and sinuses (which we kind of figured), so the doc really wants us to do a "sleep study" to see if all this obstruction causes him to go apneic at any point in the night. Even though he was monitored months after coming home never stopped his breathing during the night, I think the doctor wants to see for himself before taking out both adenoids and tonsils. So that's what's on the docket now.

Thank you for continued prayers. We are looking forward to a mini vacation with the boys in a week! Finally getting to take Levi to a beach! If nothing else, it will be lovely to be together for a week away from doctors and routine.

Happy Mothers Day to all the great moms in my life!

Love,
CC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body!"

If you are a "Friends" watcher as I have been known to be, you will appreciate that quote. I am getting to see the Chandler Bing's greatest fear--Michael Flatley and the "Lord of the Dance" performance. I am so excited! I've seen a lot of different types of performances in my lifetime (even the gravely strange or soberly artistic modern dance shows), but I've never seen an Irish Riverdance! My mom got tickets for us back in October for my birthday. She is so astute and thoughtful! In case you aren't familiar with "Lord of the Dance." Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Mr. Flately's Dance: "Lord of the Dance is an Irish musical and dance production that was created, choreographed, and produced by Irish-American dancer Michael Flatley, who also took a starring role. Michael Flatley found his first fame starring in Riverdance, but he left the show in 1995 before its debut in London after a disagreement over creative control. F

When you smile...

The whole world smiles! This was his very first "conscious smile" Who says you can't dress up little boys for fun too? Silas enjoyed sleeping at the lake instead of fishing or swimming. Anyone surprised? Our newest pastime consists of singing to Silas until he shows us his new array of smiles. Matthew discovered this newest ability when he began singing a classical ballad... I won't embarrass him by naming the lyrics. It doesn't matter how tired you are, this will make everything better! I mean come on. Are you still having a bad day? Did that make it better yet!? Had my  first few outing without the little man to go to coffee, dance, and this beautiful woman's wedding shower. Love you Christi! Thanks to my old roomie for some over-sized coffee mugs to start my day right. A cup of joe and the Word make life worth living. This is his favorite gesture.  I think he's solving the world's problems. That a boy Silas. I knew

The CubBuster's still got it!

Yes that's right, the Atlanta Braves 2010 opening season began against the infamous Chicago Cubs. My co-worker, office-mate, and dear friend Peter Collman is a baseball (well I guess all sports) fanatic, and knew that to start the season right, he needed to invite the CubBuster to be sure the Braves started the season with a win! The second game of the season started off slow with a 1-0 lead for the Braves, but at the beginning of the 8th, Atlanta was losing to Chicago 2-1. Although others may be slightly tense at this predicament, I was calm and collected knowing I possessed a special gift of busting up on a certain kind of cub. Thank goodness I've still got it (and I guess Chipper still has it too!). Jones hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning and held off the Cubs for a 3-2 win! The CubBuster lives on! Thanks Pete for a fun night! You can see other pics from Turner Field on my Pictures page... ~THE CubBuster